Skip to content
Classifieds

User Stats

Votes
Joe Black
Votes |
Looking for a real-estate aware CPA in the Austin area.

Joe Black
Posted Mar 2 2024, 07:55

Hello, I trie using bigger pockets 'classifieds' without success :(

can somebody recommend an accountant in the Austin Area who can help me prepare my taxes for this year?

I have an LLC with two rentals on them.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Hampton
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Tax Strategist, Financial Planner and Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 4 2024, 18:41

@Joe Black,

I recommend finding an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck in your search.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Davidson
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Morgantown, WV
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Morgantown, WV
Replied Mar 4 2024, 21:00

Hi @Joe Black,

In your search for an accountant, I would recommend seeking an accountant who also has personal real estate experience so that they can not only help you with your bookkeeping and tax needs, but also guide you and give you tangible recommendations for your real estate career.

Additionally, in today’s day and age, accountants are able to deliver the same caliber work to you from anywhere in the country. The best accountants and CPAs will be able to offer you a secure document transfer system in order to keep your sensitive information safe, and also be able to conduct their bookkeeping and tax return services electronically as well, saving both time and money.

I myself have an LLC that owns a 16-unit rental property, so if there are any real estate questions I can answer for you, please feel free to connect and reach out! I am always excited to speak with fellow real estate investors.

Good luck with your search!

Stag Advisors Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Randall Tannen
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York
Replied Mar 5 2024, 03:06

@Joe Black Often times, niche experience is more critical than geographic location. If you are open to working remotely, there are a number of competent tax professionals commenting on the forums here. Pick a few and message them to see who will work best with you. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly Furrh
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Oklahoma
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Oklahoma
Replied Mar 5 2024, 04:27

Joe, 

Your tax and accounting professional should be someone that can meet your needs now and as you grow.

Interview different CPAs until you find one that fits your lifestyle.  Remote or in person it doesn't matter.  Personality and experience of the professional is the most important factor.

Best of luck on your search!!!  

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 5 2024, 06:05

Hey @Joe Black

Given we are accountants, we cannot promote our services on BP as its against the rules.

To help in your search:

be sure to find an accountant who is willing to grow with you, and is not too high priced fee-wise. Not too low either, you don't want to go with someone who is just focused on price as this is a quality of a not-so-great accountant. Accountants are in such demand, that the best are not even accepting clients half the time.

The other problem I see often with accountants on here is that they specialize in larger investors, and have really high prices when you as a smaller investor do not need all the bells and whistles.

Another thing I see is folks thinking they need to have a tax professional in their state. We as a firm have investors working with us who have rental properties all over the US big and small.

Finding a real estate-focused tax professional and one who can help with advisory and grow with you would be my suggestion to focus your efforts on finding. Best of luck in your search!

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 5 2024, 10:48

@Joe Black

I don't think the location of the CPA matters provided that they have a solid background in Real Estate and software/tools to support you remotely.

Finding a Real Estate CPA is simple. There are 20+ real estate CPAs commenting in this forum. Pick one that is commenting on your specific situation and DM them.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Black
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2024, 15:54

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, specially the people who have their CPA License number on their signature. That makes it super easy to search on CPAverify.org

I will expand my search to outside of Texas.

User Stats

Votes
Ahad Ali
Pro Member
  • CPA/Investor
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • CPA/Investor
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Mar 6 2024, 08:01
Quote from @Joe Black:

Hello, I trie using bigger pockets 'classifieds' without success :(

can somebody recommend an accountant in the Austin Area who can help me prepare my taxes for this year?

I have an LLC with two rentals on them.

Hi Joe, as others have stated, there are plenty of great CPAs who work remotely. If you are open to working remotely, we are a CPA Firm that take clients nationwide. Currently, we have clients in 38/50 states. We have extensive experience in Real Estate and Small Businesses. I am also a Real Estate investor. We would love to connect with you if you're interested.

User Stats

Votes
Nate Meeker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Replied Mar 11 2024, 08:48

@Joe Black Are you open to working with a CPA remotely? As others on here have mentioned, the location of your CPA isn't as crucial as their experience with real estate. Many CPAs on this forum have clients and properties across the U.S.