• Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
Asheville contractor list share...

Chris Harjes
  • Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Posted Feb 1 2016, 04:09

Good morning everyone, this is my first post on the forum- looking forward to learning from the community. I'm a newbie with a rather unusual job which has allowed me to buy and (mostly) rehab five houses this year for rentals. I've found the buying and renting parts to go fairly well, and have felt that I make reasonable decisions that result in pretty good, and sometimes great, outcomes.  

However I have had painfully mixed results with contractors- some have been great, but many have been late, or not shown up at all. Fortunately most of the work has been, eventually, done fairly well, with the exception of some jobs where I intentionally hired folks who weren't qualified in an effort to save a buck. Yes, go ahead and laugh at me. No worries, lesson learned.  :) 

Even the contractors I've had bad experiences with have been good folks but just not capable of keeping their, and their co-workers', act together. So I've excluded them from the following list.  I've shared the following local contractors I've had  good to great experiences with, in the hopes that other area investors can do the same, and help me establish a solid crew to get rehabs done in six weeks, instead of six months, and keep my tenants happy  :) I've included comments on some.

Here's my list-  

Plumbing clogs not fixed by plungers and Drano- Rooter King (Gina) 828-252-2041

Plumbing leaks-

Chris Taylor- 828-231-6940 (best option if available)

TP Howard’s Plumbing- 828-628-1369

Nate Nesbitt- Nesbitt plumbing 828-398-4700

George at Blue planet Plumbing- 828-423-6289

Septic issues- Able Septic

HVAC installation and repairs- Wayne Jackson, J and M Heating and Air- 828-655-0317

[email protected]
Affordable, very nice guy

Appliance repair- ADF Appliance Repair- 828-545-0319

Usually comes that day, honest and affordable

Electrical issues- Robert Kunz (Current Energy) 828-246-5255 [email protected]

(Proven performer, code-compliant, fast and professional, but booked out at least two months)

Mark Hensley- 828-777-1395 [email protected]

(Mark is well-recommended locally, and did a job for us that turned out well- we’ll definitely use him again)

Fireplace remodeling and chimney sweep- Reeces Klean Sweep + Hearth, Inc. 828-298- 2713 [email protected] 310 Reger Avenue, Swannanoa, NC

Super nice folks, affordable and easy to work with- booked out about six weeks in winter, four in summer.

Carpentry, general repairs-

Jason Micheals- 828-712-8784 [email protected]

Jason is great, but typically overbooked.

Joel Wingerter- 828-712-6963 53 logan circle avl 28806

High-quality craftsmanship, easy to work with- just started on his own, and will soon be booked out multiple months

Hobbit Hawes- 828-712-6969

Not the best choice if you’re on a major time frame, but does excellent, almost artistic carpentry work at great prices

Elliot Buckholtz- 240-538-2773 He tends to stay busy, but can help us out in a bind as a favor. He’s great to work with.

Mark Catoe- 828-777-9337 [email protected]

Also booked way out, but affordable and easy to work with- however be sure to clearly define the work to be done.

Tree falls, wall collapses, grading and digging, any major outdoor issues-

Dan Cook (WNC Land Logic) 828-273-9907

This guy is solid gold. We need to clone him.

Surveyor-

Brad Kee (Kee Mapping)

88 Central Ave, Asheville, NC 28801

(828) 645-8275

Not the cheapest option, but does excellent work, on time, and is refreshingly easy to work with

I also work with a phenomenal property and rehabilitation process manager- however he also works a regular job in the summer, and is fairly selective about where and what type of properties he manages. Let me know if you have a need for his services, and I’ll pass on the request and your contact info. 

Hopefully y'all have a few gems who have some time to take on another project here and there- let me know who's good.  :)

Thanks!

Chris

Looking for