Theodore Fleming
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
15 year Mortgage Strategy

Theodore Fleming
  • Washington, DC
Posted Aug 4 2018, 05:56

Hey BP Community! 

This is my first discussion thread. Yay! 

My Question is in reference to the most recent BP Episode (BiggerPockets Podcast 290: 7 Paths to Financial Independence)

In the episode, Brandon and David discuss the 15-year Mortgage Strategy. Buy a house between 100-150K, put it on a 15year mortgage, repeat each year, then in 15 years Refi and pay yourself a tax-free salary.

This strategy is super appealing to me. My main question is what the best market for this strategy might be. 

The numbers:

$100,000 property on a 15year with 5% down @4.5%: PITI = $996

Estimated rent payment needed to "only" cover costs (as per the strategy): ~$1,500

$150,000 property on a 15year with 5% down @4.5%: PITI = $1,480

Estimated rent payment needed to "only" cover costs (as per the strategy): ~$2,000

This puts us at needing to find properties that will rent for ~1.5% of the purchase price. In my market (Washington, DC) that is basically unheard of (as is a $100,000 house). There are some properties like this in and around Baltimore, but most (if not all) of the properties in these price ranges require a flip to get into rentable condition. 

I am looking for recommendations for other markets to apply this 15-year strategy if anyone might have some.

All the Best,

TJ Fleming

Looking for

Loading replies...