• Denver, CO
Votes |
Are you Pro or Against 401(k)?

Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Posted Oct 27 2014, 12:04

A recent article that I wrote on the BP blog received some criticism because I suggest that a 401(k) is one of the best ways to increase your net worth.

This strategy was criticized by a couple of readers and I thought I'd move the debate over here.  So here's my argument:

A 401(k) allows you to invest and grow your net worth tax free.  It reduces tax liability now, enabling you to have a huge portfolio to invest that will achieve outstanding returns for the lifetime of the account.  In my opinion, this is absolutely critical and its a real shame that someone would forgo the opportunity to take advantage of this tool.

The main counterpoint to this thought process is that the funds are not available until 59.5, and that they are taxed when they are withdrawn.  

What do you think?  Would you rather build up a ton of net worth through the 401(k) or have less assets to manage, but make them usable sooner?

I vote for the 401(k) and increasing my total assets under my name as much and as rapidly as possible.

Loading replies...