Skip to content
Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Himes
Votes |
Cash out investments to pay off student loans?

Zachary Himes
Posted Apr 25 2022, 14:18

Here’s the situation: I'm 21, I make 90k a year (all remote work), I invested in Bitcoin in 2017, I’ve made sizable returns (at the moment 40k on my 6k investment)

I have 93k in student loans (4.5% interest). My plan is to pay 5k a month on them but that will be about 1.5 years to pay off. I just hate the idea of living paycheck to paycheck for a year and a half knowing I could be done in 9 months if I cash out my investments.

My idea was to cash out Bitcoin pay the cap gains and take a chunk of my loans out. This would reduce my repayment to about 9 months.

I would then cost average back into BTC till I hit my initial investment (in BTC). I’ve tried to do the math on returns but it’s super speculative, as far as I can figure out. Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas about this?

Also, I am moving abroad in August, to a families house in the Philippines, this will allow me to have free housing and a cheap economy to reside in (in case you're wondering how I am making 5k/month payments)

I've posted this elsewhere and some thoughts were to treat it like a mortgage, pay the minimum($1000) and instead invest heavily while I'm young? How can I compare the outlooks on both these routes?

Loading replies...