• Iowa
Votes |
Strategies with paying off properties

Max Matthias
  • New to Real Estate
  • Iowa
Posted May 23 2022, 18:08

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first house and am excited to get things started with it! I am interested in purchasing more properties in the future to use as investment properties/rentals as well. One question I had for everyone was how fast you worked to pay off your first house vs. save for another one to purchase/add to your portfolio.

Any advice/info would certainly be helpful!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied May 23 2022, 18:22
I have never paid off a rental property and never intend to.

Without leverage, real estate returns are no better than returns on any other asset class.  The key to growing wealth is to use leverage wisely to deliver larger returns.

User Stats

Votes
Rodney Sums
  • Laveen, AZ
Votes |
  • Laveen, AZ
Replied May 23 2022, 19:10
Quote from @Max Matthias:

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first house and am excited to get things started with it! I am interested in purchasing more properties in the future to use as investment properties/rentals as well. One question I had for everyone was how fast you worked to pay off your first house vs. save for another one to purchase/add to your portfolio.

Any advice/info would certainly be helpful!

Just to expand on what @Greg Scott said:  

What is your goal?  If it is to create the greatest wealth then like he said you want to leverage.  If you just want to have the peace of mind being debt free and have more cash flow sooner then quick payoff MAY be your strategy.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied May 23 2022, 19:14

Depends on your goals. If you want to buy more properties and your debt to income ratio is okay, save the money to use as a down payment for the next property and let the tenants pay off the mortgage over time.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Porche
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Replied May 25 2022, 00:20

@Max Matthias, I think it's nice to have more cash in your control. So what that means is leveraging your houses to some degree so that you have a balance on them... that's just my personal preference. The reason being the case is if you have a fully paid off house then that house becomes a target to others who may want to sue

• Real Estate Agent Idaho (#SP51160)

RY Capital Logo