Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Steven Gomez
Votes |
I did a successful flip, NOW WHAT?

Steven Gomez
Posted Jul 8 2022, 15:02

Hello guys, I am new here and I am very excited to have a community since I have never been in one.  A bit about myself, so you can understand my question. My wife and I live in LA, we have good jobs, we are in the highest TAX bracket. I wanted to use real estate to offset income, but instead I did a flip and I added more income to my household. I am not complaining, but is not what I am looking for. I need guidance on how to offset this income. All day, every day, I am looking for properties with positive cash flow and I can't find any. Yes, I am looking in other markets as well. I will appreciate some guidance from someone who already walked this path and can help me succeed at it.  THANK YOU. Can't wait to hear the strategies.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Okenwa
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Replied Jul 8 2022, 15:35

@Steven Gomez

Where have you been looking? There are plenty of markets that still cash flow. You just have to be willing to invest there. If you've only been looking in CA, then your odds of cash flowing without a significant down payment are low. 

There are other opportunities in the South and Midwest where others here have had success.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Reynolds
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 8 2022, 22:55

Hi @Steven Gomez

My advice is to work with a CPA/tax planner who is real estate savvy and build a real estate team that can help fulfill all your needs. 

The David Greene Team Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jul 9 2022, 10:30

@Steven Gomez 

Can you be more specific as to what you're asking?  If you're asking about how to use passive losses to offset active income, that's a question for a tax professional as others said

If you're asking for input on where / how to invest - great!

User Stats

Votes
Juan V Lopez
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 9 2022, 11:52
Hey Steven, congrats on your flip brother. To offset high income (can capital gains on your flip), you need either: 1) Real estate rentals or 2) Business expenses.

Since we're already in the back half of 2022, any rental you buy now will only be depreciated for the remaining months you owned it in 2022. But don't let this dissuade you from acquiring a big rental.

Some suggestions:

1) Connect with a real estate-friendly tax professional. Doing this has saved me so much money in recent years. Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. They know what you want to do and will do what they can to reduce your tax liability.

2) Cali is very difficult (damn-near impossible) to acquire cash-flowing properties. Go out of state to look at rentals. Personally, I live in Las Vegas and hold rentals in Chicago. More bang for your buck, larger brick buildings, steady tenants. Get clear on what you are able to afford (perhaps a $1 million property with $200K down) and use that criteria to start your search in markets you are comfortable with. Throughout the years, owning rentals is a fantastic depreciation against income.

3) Something I did in 2018 to offset a large tax bill was to acquire a business before the end of the year. I was able to depreciate all of the assets of the business in year 1. That's how depreciation for business works. Real estate depreciation is different.

Hope this helps, wish you the best bro.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Faysash
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 9 2022, 11:56

There's likely several expenses you can capture on your schedule C, such as a home office and mileage. I see a common misconception that you can just begin investing in real estate and have less taxable income. You can minimize taxable income on your real estate investments by depreciating the property over 27.5 years and capturing all your expenses. You can only offset you're other income if you have losses from your real estate investing, but this is more of a "backup" in my opinion incase you make bad investment decisions and lose money. But what investor plans to lose money?

Also, the IRS doesn't really view house flips as an investment, they view it as a business. They view the houses as inventory, and therefore profits get taxed in your income bracket rather than the capital gains rate. If you live in CA, you better hope bill AB1771 doesn't get passed, which will add a 25% tax on house flips.

Make sure you set aside federal income tax, self employment tax, and state income tax for your recent flip.

Cash is going to be king as interest rates are going up. If you're taking out loans for rental properties, cash flow is going to become much more difficult, but not impossible.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Gomez
Votes |
Replied Jul 10 2022, 08:59
Quote from @Bob Okenwa:

@Steven Gomez

Where have you been looking? There are plenty of markets that still cash flow. You just have to be willing to invest there. If you've only been looking in CA, then your odds of cash flowing without a significant down payment are low. 

There are other opportunities in the South and Midwest where others here have had success.

Hello Bob, I have been looking in TAMPA, what are this cities you are talking about? I see you are an Agent/ Investor do you Invest there?

User Stats

Votes
Steven Gomez
Votes |
Replied Jul 10 2022, 09:00
Quote from @Robert Reynolds:

Hi @Steven Gomez

My advice is to work with a CPA/tax planner who is real estate savvy and build a real estate team that can help fulfill all your needs. 

Thank you Robert

User Stats

Votes
Steven Gomez
Votes |
Replied Jul 10 2022, 09:08
Quote from @Juan V Lopez:
Hey Steven, congrats on your flip brother. To offset high income (can capital gains on your flip), you need either: 1) Real estate rentals or 2) Business expenses.

Since we're already in the back half of 2022, any rental you buy now will only be depreciated for the remaining months you owned it in 2022. But don't let this dissuade you from acquiring a big rental.

Some suggestions:

1) Connect with a real estate-friendly tax professional. Doing this has saved me so much money in recent years. Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. They know what you want to do and will do what they can to reduce your tax liability.

2) Cali is very difficult (damn-near impossible) to acquire cash-flowing properties. Go out of state to look at rentals. Personally, I live in Las Vegas and hold rentals in Chicago. More bang for your buck, larger brick buildings, steady tenants. Get clear on what you are able to afford (perhaps a $1 million property with $200K down) and use that criteria to start your search in markets you are comfortable with. Throughout the years, owning rentals is a fantastic depreciation against income.

3) Something I did in 2018 to offset a large tax bill was to acquire a business before the end of the year. I was able to depreciate all of the assets of the business in year 1. That's how depreciation for business works. Real estate depreciation is different.

Hope this helps, wish you the best bro.

Juan, Thank you for taking the time to write this message, I do appreciate it and defiantly gives me a guidance. Also wish you the best. If you are ever in LA hit me up we can go for coffee 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Gomez
Votes |
Replied Jul 10 2022, 09:38
Quote from @Jack Faysash:

There's likely several expenses you can capture on your schedule C, such as a home office and mileage. I see a common misconception that you can just begin investing in real estate and have less taxable income. You can minimize taxable income on your real estate investments by depreciating the property over 27.5 years and capturing all your expenses. You can only offset you're other income if you have losses from your real estate investing, but this is more of a "backup" in my opinion incase you make bad investment decisions and lose money. But what investor plans to lose money?

Also, the IRS doesn't really view house flips as an investment, they view it as a business. They view the houses as inventory, and therefore profits get taxed in your income bracket rather than the capital gains rate. If you live in CA, you better hope bill AB1771 doesn't get passed, which will add a 25% tax on house flips.

Make sure you set aside federal income tax, self employment tax, and state income tax for your recent flip.

Cash is going to be king as interest rates are going up. If you're taking out loans for rental properties, cash flow is going to become much more difficult, but not impossible.

Thank you Jack for taking the time to reply.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Green
  • Realtor
  • Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater, FL
Replied Jul 12 2022, 16:12
Quote from @Steven Gomez:

Hello guys, I am new here and I am very excited to have a community since I have never been in one.  A bit about myself, so you can understand my question. My wife and I live in LA, we have good jobs, we are in the highest TAX bracket. I wanted to use real estate to offset income, but instead I did a flip and I added more income to my household. I am not complaining, but is not what I am looking for. I need guidance on how to offset this income. All day, every day, I am looking for properties with positive cash flow and I can't find any. Yes, I am looking in other markets as well. I will appreciate some guidance from someone who already walked this path and can help me succeed at it.  THANK YOU. Can't wait to hear the strategies.

Steven, it is true it is difficult to find a traditional multifamily property right now that cash flows. Often times, the CAP rate right now is lower than the interest rates and thus the property does not cash flow. Have you considered short-term rentals? I do STRs in the Tampa bay area and there is absolutely opportunities here to get high cash flow. Considering your situation, it would be wise to acquire more buy & hold real estate to offset the taxable income for you as well as build net worth and capture both appreciation and cash flow through REI. For example, it isn't unreasonable to purchase a property here for $270k-$450k that will cost you around $2300-$3000/mo and generate $4500-$7000/mo in revenue through an STR. Most cases I'm seeing a 30-50% cash on cash return with my clients and most are out-of-state.

User Stats

Votes
Kristina Kuba
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 12 2022, 16:52

@Steven Gomez

Have you considered using a 1031 exchange to buy a rental? The nice thing about Tampa, is that you have two hold strategies, LTR or STR. STR restrictions are extremely limited in City of Tampa limits. Although home prices are softening, LTR rents are increasing in Tampa. I personally have a multifamily property in Tampa proper and did two renewals this quarter and raised them both by $100 even after it was already market rent last year. Good luck and reach out if you have any questions.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Griffin Kaake
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 12 2022, 17:43

Steven, Keep in mind that with W2 wages, all your investments in real estate are most likely to be passive investments. There are some rare exceptions for STRs like Airbnbs and VRBOs where you are putting in about 50% of your time or more into "materially participating" in the property or more hours than anyone else and at least 100 yours. With W2 income, you are not likely to pass the IRS's stringent requirements for this RE Professional classification. The best things you can do is purchase properties and think in terms of long-term holds where your investment can likely increase in value over time.

Then, be sure to do a cost segregation study on every property you purchase over a purchase price of about $250K. The benefit is that you get to take depreciation on all 5, 7 and 15-year property in the first year of ownership. This gives you passive losses that you can apply to your passive income from the rentals. It is all about the time value of money. A dollar in your hand today is worth more than that same dollar years from now. Why let the IRS hold that money and dribble it to you over 27.5 or 39 years when you could reinvest that extra cash flow now? For example, if you purchase a $1M building (excluding land value) you can usually expect about 6% to 8%/$60K to $80K in taxes you do not have to pay in year one. You can also roll any benefits you can't use in year one to future years. 

I know this can sound complex if you are not familiar with the benefits available to commercial property owners and owners of residential rentals. It is complex even for most CPAs/tax professionals, the vast majority sub this work out to companies who specialize in these IRS regs. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Gomez
Votes |
Replied Jul 13 2022, 07:59
Quote from @Josh Green:

Steven, it is true it is difficult to find a traditional multifamily property right now that cash flows. Often times, the CAP rate right now is lower than the interest rates and thus the property does not cash flow. Have you considered short-term rentals? I do STRs in the Tampa bay area and there is absolutely opportunities here to get high cash flow. Considering your situation, it would be wise to acquire more buy & hold real estate to offset the taxable income for you as well as build net worth and capture both appreciation and cash flow through REI. For example, it isn't unreasonable to purchase a property here for $270k-$450k that will cost you around $2300-$3000/mo and generate $4500-$7000/mo in revenue through an STR. Most cases I'm seeing a 30-50% cash on cash return with my clients and most are out-of-state.

Thank you Josh, I will explore that option as well

User Stats

Votes
Steven Gomez
Votes |
Replied Jul 13 2022, 08:03
Quote from @Kristina Kuba:

@Steven Gomez

Have you considered using a 1031 exchange to buy a rental? The nice thing about Tampa, is that you have two hold strategies, LTR or STR. STR restrictions are extremely limited in City of Tampa limits. Although home prices are softening, LTR rents are increasing in Tampa. I personally have a multifamily property in Tampa proper and did two renewals this quarter and raised them both by $100 even after it was already market rent last year. Good luck and reach out if you have any questions.

Thank you Kristina, Yes my options are open right now. Cool story about your property.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Jul 13 2022, 08:20

Try the Midwest. Look at markets that have good cash flow and steady job growth. Happy to chat regarding KC. We can help introduce you to lenders and property managers here. I have written several articles on this topic for bigger pockets. 

Xchange CRE - 1031 Exchange RE Brokerage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Jul 13 2022, 11:52

@Steven Gomez

@Kristina Kuba is right that 1031's are a great option if you're looking to go from one investment property to another, and defer all tax and depreciation recapture while you do it. Fix and flips do not qualify for 1031's because your intention was never to hold them for investment but rather fix them then turn around and sell it. If you decide to rent it out for a while. That would qualify it for the 1031 exemption.

User Stats

Votes
Chad McMahan
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Sedona, AZ
Replied Jul 13 2022, 12:24

Hi Steven.
You are well poised to pounce on some great deals.

I often see here on BP, most people complaining about how difficult it is to cash flow. Meanwhile, my clients are getting huge returns in premium markets. Typically $600k-$700k PP + remodel is yielding $100k+ gross annual income. Part of getting strong returns, is knowing what to do with a property after COE, that can push the income envelope. If I can help, let me know.

Realty One Group Mountain Desert Logo

User Stats

Votes
William Joel Idleman
  • Financial Advisor
  • San Antonio Texas
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • San Antonio Texas
Replied Jul 15 2022, 06:41

Steven, first congrats on having the problem of making too much money!  Clearly moving into another property is the best option.  I've helped many clients lower tax liabilities through alternative tax favored strategies.  I'll send you a invitation to connect.