Skip to content
Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Johnny Walker
Pro Member
Votes |
Looking for CPA to help with 401K questions and guidance.

Johnny Walker
Pro Member
Posted Jul 16 2022, 13:15

I am trying to decide how to use the money in my 401K to invest in rentals. It looks like my best bet is to liquidate the account to use the money but would like a confirmation before doing that. I want to have access to the cash flow to quit my W2 job. Any advice I will take. Thank you all for your time. 

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Jul 16 2022, 18:03

You can borrow up to 50k or 1/2 of the vested balance than withdrawing the money. 

User Stats

Votes
Jack Faysash
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 16 2022, 19:27

Johnny, if you liquidate your 401k, you'll be subject to a 10% early withdrawal penalty plus income tax on whatever you take out. If you have a large sum in the 401k, this would be a horrible idea, you'd likely jump up multiple tax brackets for the year. But if you're willing to pay the additional taxes in order to have the freedom to quit your job, that's up to you. You can take a loan from your 401k like Ashish mentioned, but you'll have to pay that borrowed money back, plus interest, within 5 years of taking your loan, in most cases. You could quit your job and roll it over into a self-directed IRA to invest in real estate, but any profits would have to roll back into this IRA. You could quit your job and roll your 401k into a roth ira to avoid the 10% penalty, and withdraw CONTRIBUTIONS tax free after 5 years (not earnings).

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
William Joel Idleman
  • Financial Advisor
  • San Antonio Texas
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • San Antonio Texas
Replied Jul 17 2022, 10:43

Do not liquidate the account.  I help people access capital in their retirement accounts to secure more cash for real estate investing.  I'll send you a connection request and help you make a plan.