Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Melody Tay
Votes |
Need advice- dad selling primary to pay off debt

Melody Tay
Posted May 1 2023, 02:31

My dad (61 y.o.) currently lives in our childhood home and has been struggling to find a job. He managed afterschool programs for a majority of his career making between 60k-120k/year, but was recently laid off. Over the years, he's accumulated about 500k in debt from cc's and borrowing from family. The mortgage payment, living expenses, debt, and inability to find a job has been weighing on him and he's deciding to sell his home so that he can:

1. pay off his debt
  2. live without worrying about mortgage payments (by buying a cheaper house all cash)

Unfortunately house-hacking is not an option. Before jumping the gun, I want to make sure that selling is the smartest decision especially since his monthly mortgage payment is low and he has ~1.2m in equity in the house. What's the best way to pay off his debt while keeping the house? Current childhood home:

• 485k mortgage left on home in the East Bay of California
  • ~3k monthly mortgage payment
  • Valued @ ~1.6m-1.7m

His plan is to use his profits after selling, paying off debt and capital gains tax, and buy a 500k house. What is the best move he can make for long-term financial stability, especially considering that he may not be able to find a good job again?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 1 2023, 03:48

@Melody Tay

Why not look into a reverse mortgage if he has that much equity?

That is what I would recommend - that way he doesn’t have to move, pay any taxes on sale….

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Murphy
  • Financial Advisor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied May 1 2023, 06:12

I agree with @Chris Seveney, tell your dad to look into a HECM reverse mortgage. At least to rule another option out before you pursue the "nuclear option" of selling his long time home.  

The downside is I believe you need to be 62 before you can do a reverse mortgage. The fees are higher than a conventional mortgage and he will have to go through some financial counseling most likely.  But it gives him an option to either stop with his payments, get a line of credit or a chunk of cash.  It may not be enough to pay everything, but it's woth looking at.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied May 1 2023, 07:31

I'm not an accountant and tell your dad to talk to one. I believe if he moves to another state, one that has no state income tax (Wa for example), when he becomes a resident there he can then sell the house and not pay ca state income tax on the capital gain. Well worth checking out.