User Stats

Votes
Ali Matula
Votes |
Golden Handcuffs - Thoughts?

Ali Matula
Posted Jan 23 2024, 10:58

Hi BP Community,

My SO and I recently started new jobs that have unique pay structures. Our base pay is the same as our old jobs, however we get variable income, and vesting schedules for 401(k) profit sharing and gainsharing, and an ESOP. These vesting schedules would put us at coast FI at 30 years old.

My question is….for people who have stayed long enough to vest at companies with these sort of structures, is it worth it if you don’t love your job?

User Stats

Votes
Denver McClure
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jan 23 2024, 11:43

Hey @Ali Matula, I would say no. I was in a similar position with a "Magnificent 7" company, had every perk I needed and plenty of RSUs to keep me there for a long time. If you don't love, or even enjoy your job, then I'd consider moving on at some point. Just make sure you and your SO are in a health financial place before making any moves. 

Apollo Advising Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Nash
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • McKinney, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • McKinney, TX
Replied Jan 25 2024, 14:24

I agree with @Denver McClure.  Sometimes the qualitative factors are more important than the quantitative.  It depends on the degree to which you don't love your job!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes