Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Straussen
Votes |
life insurance - need multiple brokers?

Jacob Straussen
Posted Mar 28 2024, 18:38

Random question but I was curious for those with life insurance, is it necessary to speak with multiple brokers?  I went through term4sale which had several brokers reach out to me.  I spoke with one so far and he presented himself well.  if all the companies they reach out to on my behalf are going to quote the same thing, then I'm guessing it is not necessary to speak with different brokers?

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Bock
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • Bryn Mawr, PA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • Bryn Mawr, PA
Replied Mar 28 2024, 18:44

@Jacob Straussen

What type of policy and face amount?  Give us some color for more feedback on your case 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Straussen
Votes |
Replied Mar 28 2024, 19:01
based on my calculations, I've decided on term life, 20 years, 2 million.   
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Bock
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • Bryn Mawr, PA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • Bryn Mawr, PA
Replied Mar 29 2024, 04:08

@Jacob Straussen

Term is essentially a commodity biggest difference you will see is if you want to have options to convert to perm that's when you would want to do more research and really get carrier specific.  

If you just want 20yr 2MM non convertible term its price shopping except prices may change depending on how automated the carrier is and if a paramedical exam is required.  

You have tons of options and it always depends this is not personalized advice just general info let us know if you have any other questions  

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Rutkowski
Pro Member
#4 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Financial Advisor
  • Boynton Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Financial Advisor
  • Boynton Beach, FL
Replied Mar 29 2024, 05:54

@Jacob Straussen

All agents are going to give you the same price for the same company. You'll want to make sure that you are looking at several different insurance companies. There are also a lot of great companies that don't put their products on those platforms, so there is something to be said for working with an agent rather than DIY. The prices are equal, and the service is free.

User Stats

Votes
Josh St Laurent
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Replied Mar 29 2024, 16:07
Quote from @Jacob Straussen:
based on my calculations, I've decided on term life, 20 years, 2 million.   

Pretty straightforward, check out a tool like PolicyGenius to compare multiple quotes from multiple carriers.  Like the guys above said agents licensed at the same company are going to quote you the same amount so you're essentially just price-shopping different carriers.  It's worth considering the credit rating of an insurance company and how long they've been in business.  Ultimately you'll never know but the risk is that they go under during your 20-year term and are unable to pay your death benefit if something happens to you.  This is extremely unlikely with a larger carrier.