Have some savings doing nothing, how to invest?

5 Replies

Was originally planning on remodeling the house but those plans are now canceled. We have roughly $100k sitting in a savings account doing nothing. We want to put into this our core four lazy portfolio now.

With the US markets at all-time highs and our US total stock market allocation at close to 50%, I am not sure if this is the wisest thing to do. However, I am basically saying I am trying to time the market which is also difficult/dumb to do. I am planning on retiring at around 2045-2050.

I probably shouldn't worry about trying to time the market and just stick with my strategy, am I right?? What do you guys think?

I also have $0 in crypto right now which I am seriously thinking about building a smallish portfolio of BTC and altcoins with a pretty even alloation. Thoughts on this?

What are your real estate goals?  It seems like you are more interested in the financial markets and where to put your money in financial assets....or are you looking for advice for your real estate assets?  

You could invest passively in real estate through a syndicator, get a partner and do a deal with them doing most of the leg work, buy real estate yourself and have someone else manage it or buy real estate and manage it yourself.

I’m buying a 6 unit building tomorrow that will cash flow $1000 a month and my down payment is less than that including the rehab cost.

100K doing nothing. You can get 1.2% interest in an Internet based bank on CD.  If you are ambitious you can put some in REITs and they do well even the residential market tanks.  I checked out a 5000 sf vacant rural lot in Santa Clara County which says it is a R3 zoning. City planning dept says you will never be able to build anything on that lot. Just ignore that zoning label. Even in rural area a residential lot featches about 1/3 to 0.4M outside Gilroy.  

Originally posted by @Vincent Low :

Was originally planning on remodeling the house but those plans are now canceled. We have roughly $100k sitting in a savings account doing nothing.

Is this money now earmarked as retirement savings? If so, then stick to your plan. 

If you intend to use this money for something other than retirement, then we'd need to know your intentions. We can't recommend a vehicle until we know the destination. 

I think you are mixed up. No serious offense intended, but Bogleheads is that way --->.

But if I have to answer here, REITs and real-estate related ETFs are perfect for real-estate exposure. Risk/Return is solid.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here