Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
What if Student Loan Debt Could Be Subject to Bankruptcy?

Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jul 16 2018, 13:57

Hi folks - I wanted the BP community opinion on an off-topic finance related thought.

It seems to me like a ton of millennials, and more of whatever the next generation is called, are graduating college with massive student loan debt, often disproportionate to the expected income they will generate after they receive their degree. For example, a history major will graduate with six-figures in student loan debt. A veterinarian or a dentist will graduate with debt like that of a Doctor, but with far less income potential.

Has there been any discussion or debate about this as a potential solution:

Going forward, allow student loans to be subject to bankruptcy law. 

The way I understand things, most debts, like a home mortgage, credit card debt, medical debt, etc, are subject to a statute of limitations. After a period of years, usually 7, creditors can no longer sue you to collect debt on outstanding balances. This protection does not apply to student loan debt and a few other types of debt.

Well if it did, and individuals COULD file for bankruptcy on student loans, then creditors would no longer support education which was unlikely to result in the student speedily repaying the debt.

I'm not excusing people for making decisions to take on too much student loan debt, and I'm not suggesting that we forgive all student loan debt, or let those who signed up for it already file for bankruptcy to get out of their obligations. I'm suggesting a change to the law that allows future student loan debt to be subject to bankruptcy protection laws in the same way that medical debt is. Perhaps you could argue for a longer statute of limitations - maybe 10, 12, or 15 years. But having any statute of limitations at all, I believe, would dramatically deflate the education and student loan industries in a necessary way, and steer the country towards more STEM education and the types of degrees that the marketplace demands.

I believe that creditors, in the private marketplace, would then eliminate the opportunity for students to take on crazy amounts of debt for uneconomical career choices. 

Would you lend $100,000 to a 17-year-old college kid studying philosophy if they had the option to declare bankruptcy? No way. The only reason that kid gets a loan right now is that the loan follows him or her for LIFE. 

Would you lend to that same kid if they were to study Computer Science? Maybe. As long as each installment was contingent on appropriate academic performance and the student taking appropriate steps to increase the likelihood of landing a lucrative job.

Anyways - just spitballing here and hoping for some feedback on this thought. 

Loading replies...