Skip to content
Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Stacy Fernandez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
Old Retirement Account - What should I do?

Stacy Fernandez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lincoln, NE
Posted Jan 14 2020, 08:54

Hello Friends!

Just looking for some advice on an old retirement account and how to start a new one.

I have been self-employed for about a year and half now and putting off moving my old retirement account. At my previous job they had just implemented retirement accounts a few months before I had left. In my account I had about $1200 and to be honest i'm not sure what it is at now but I know I put it on an aggressive plan that has performed poorly. So I think I'm down to around $800. 

I'm not really sure how to get access to my account but I can figure that out when the time comes it is serviced through John Hancock.

What I'm hoping for some suggestions on is where is the best place to transfer the money to start a new self-employed retirement account that I can contribute some of my REALTOR® commissions to and start saving.

I'm most interested in steady returns which is why i'm leaning towards index funds. However in my future I would like to have a self-directed IRA to invest by hard money lending and purchasing buy & holds like lease options or notes.

On the Podcasts I have heard about Betterment, Equity Trust, and other services that seem like a good fit. 

My main goals of a servicer would be: 

• Low fees
  • Easily accessible - App
  • Integratable with Mint.com
  • Easy to contribute to

What are your suggestions and experiences with these companies? Do you have any suggestions or best practices to help me achieve my goals?

Loading replies...