Votes
Cali Skier
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Yet another "Tennant got a dog" post. Concern about retaliation

Cali Skier
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Posted Jan 17 2022, 17:18

First off, great forum, I really appreciate all the help we have received here.

Second, I am not emotional about this, its a business decision for me, I am in this to make money.

We have tenants that are renting our property, they pay on time and actually early every month.  The grass is always cut, they seam to be taking care of the place.  They are a nice family that is not married but has 4 kids.  They paid first and last months rent. We have a very nice house that we updated, painted and put in new laminate flooring.  We have not done an inspection yet but should have.  We got a call 5 months ago because they wanted a dog.  We told them $300-$500 deposit on top of the existing $1500 deposit.   They said they would not get one, we trusted them on this.  Well, we believe they have a dog because I was over there last weekend to check on something outside.  Lots of feces in the backyard grass, paw prints all over the back patio and the back door is a little chewed on.  

Lease is up April 1st.  Here is what I plan to do about it.  First, I believe I know what kind of dog it is, and if its that dog we would have accepted it.  I plan to do an inspection for smoke detectors this Thursday or Friday giving 24 hour notice.  I want to know if the property inside is well maintained.  I will walk through it and I assume the dog will not be there.  After the inspection is over AND I am happy with the care of the house I plan to politely address the dog in this matter.  We know there is a dog living or visiting this house and while it would have been better if you would have just told us, you have otherwise been good tenants.  We need to see a picture of the dog and we need a deposit in the amount of XXXXX.  If you would like to continue living in this house, we need you sign this new 1 year lease agreement starting April first at $75 more per month (5% increase) to bring you closer to market. We would except a payment of $50 a month to pay down the deposit for the dog.  The $50 goes away once you have paid the deposit.  If this is not acceptable to you, you have violated the lease and we will give you until March 1st to get out of the house. 

What do you think of this, I do not want them to pour concrete down my toilet.  The other option is to just tell them we know they have a dog, and because of that we are not renewing the lease after April first they must be out, and let them come up with their own solution because we know they do not want to move, they asked to renew the lease about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.

Loading replies...