General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Vince Beusan
Votes |
Best advice to maximize cash flow for life, with inheriting $1.8M

Vince Beusan
Posted May 13 2022, 14:04

I am looking for the best advice in regards to how to invest $1.8M from an inheritance.   Part of the clause of the inheritance reads, all the proceeds would go into a Trust between (2) family members, the inheritor and his niece, where the inheritor (who is married) gets 100% use of the inheritance & when they die, all the proceeds go onto to the niece.

Knowing this information, what suggestion would you give a family member in how best to maximize cash flow for the rest of their life? They believe that $5500-$6000 per month rental income on the proceeds of a $1.8M SFR sale, is the best they can do. The inheritor is married, and his wife also wants control of the assets, but can not due to the rules of the trust do not allow her any control; therefore, I believe he is getting bad advice.

They technically want to 'set it and forget it', by owning a couple rental properties & that's it, I believe they can do much better, as he is age 45, and could have another 40-50 years ahead of him.

The inheritors current mindset it to purchase (2) SFR for all cash, and have no mortgage because they (he and his wife) don't 'technically own' the asset, as it is in a trust, and they don't want their investment to benefit the niece who inherits the asset after they die. I am looking for some smart suggestions, maybe someone has encountered this already or is currently going through something like this and can lend some advice.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.

VB

Loading replies...