• Rental Property Investor
  • Utah
Votes |
Tenant forged ESA letter from doctor

Justin Harrison
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Utah
Posted May 16 2022, 16:46

In a nutshell, two tenants didn’t disclose a pet until confronted a month into tenancy, said they were finishing up paperwork to register it as an emotional support animal (ESA), and then sent in a forged signature from a local MD. This forgery was verified by contacting that doctor’s office directly (because tenant provided an incorrect number) and providing them with a copy of the document.

The fact that they didn’t tell us about the pet prior to signing and now have presented us with fake documents to avoid pet fees, we feel like we don’t want that type of tenant living in our property.

The catch that we want to be cautious of is ESA’s are protected by fair housing and even though this pet may be “registered” on a website, there is no licensed doctor or therapist backing it. What suggestions do you all have and what rights do I have at this point? If I had my choice, I’d ask them to leave because I don’t want to deal with this type of dishonesty but I don’t want to get hit with a discrimination law suit if we were to go that direction.

Loading replies...