Votes
Dara Abasute
  • Austell, GA
Votes |
Eviction process in Fulton Co., GA [POST-COVID]

Dara Abasute
  • Austell, GA
Posted May 29 2022, 21:52

I've searched the Georgia Landlord Tenant Handbook and have even hired "professionals" -- Evict Them For Me -- to handle my eviction case for a self-managed property in Fulton County. But I'm yet to find the answer to my specific situation..

The timing couldn't have been more..off, with just a few weeks til the lease expires that the eviction process was started. Prior to the notice to vacate being served, the tenant mentioned, in writing, that he would vacate the property on the date the lease ends. I now have reason to believe he has no plan or intention of vacating by this date since he denied meeting for a move out inspection (including handing over keys) when given 24+ hr notice. I'm aware of the illegality of "self-help" evictions such as changing locks, HOWEVER, if on the day the lease ends, I arrange to have the locks changed, is this still considered an illegal act?? If I show up on the date of the scheduled move-out inspection (with or without movers), can I be sued by the tenant who allegedly intends to stay beyond his lease? 

TIA for all relevant/helpful answers and resources.

Loading replies...