• Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Votes |
Satellite Dish Problems. Any Advice?

Mark N.A
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Posted Jun 25 2010, 00:27

The local satellite dish company has been installing dishes on my rental roofs WITHOUT my express permission. They say my tenants claimed to have my permission, and that if I have a problem with the installation (right through the shingles!) then my only recourse is to deal with the tenants and 'make' them pay to have the dish reinstalled elsewhere. These are low-income tenants, btw, who don't have two spare nickels to rub together.

One of my shingled roofs is leaking. The dish company said I can file a claim including photos, estimates, etc., (on my dime and time, of course) which I am in the process of doing, but that removing the dish is my (or the tenant's) responsibility.

The FCC regs are clear that roofs are common areas and require the LL's permission. But the dish company's position is if the tenant says they have my permission that's good enough for the installers. The local cable company, btw, _does_ call me for permission prior to any installation.

I'm waiting for a call back from the State Attorney General to see what other rights I may have, but other than that I'm stymied.

Anyone have any advice?

Loading replies...