why do people hate landlords?

82 Replies

@Cameron H. Forbis bad experiences. I've heard horror stories from both sides. I think some tenants blame the landlord and in other cases the landlord was not prepared. It is a case by case basis. Make sure you screen your tenants and that takes care of a lot of issues. 

Obviously jealous of our wit, charm, and stunning good looks. j/k.

I think @Account Closed (the notion of the slumlord and unscrupulous robber baron is still deep in our psyche).

One thing I notice is how little people understand who or what their LL is. Most think it is the PM or a large company when the majority of SFH and 2-4 unit rentals are in the hands of small private co's and individuals. Homes are a big ticket item. If you have more than 2...you must be "rich". When in reality many LL's are not much that far removed than their tenants.

Actually, I think the recent pandemic has shone a light on how smaller LL's are beholden to our mortgagees!  

...and hating banks is something we can all get behind. ha!

Originally posted by @Julian Michon :

@Cameron H. Forbis

I firmly believe slumlords are a huge reason why people hate landlords.

I went to buy a mobile home from a woman who wanted to sell from inside a park. It’s owned by two “very wealthy” investors who own several parks in the area. When I asked about her terms she explained they’re charging her the maximum amount of interest, on top of a 15% of the full payment as a one time title fee for transfer of title. I ended up not being able to purchase the home because in the lease it states they’re not allowed to sell to anyone else other than the park if sold.

People take advantage of others who lack the knowledge, or find themselves in hard times in order to make money. It’s a very sad reality.

Yikes! That sounds pretty shady. This is one of the reasons why mobile home park owners are getting a pretty bad rap right now. These are the types of people who ruin things for the rest of us. As in anything, there are good investors and bad investors. 

I would't be surprised if someone takes that contract to the local tenant council. There's definitely some laws being violated in that contract, especially the one where the owner cannot sell their trailer to anyone other than the park. Honestly, I don't think that's legal. 

Most times, mobile home sellers can sell their homes to others. Though, if the home stays in the park then the park can have their own rules on who can live in the home and who cannot through their application process and their rules and regulations. 

Hope that helps! 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Doug Pintarch:
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

@Cameron H. Forbis I think it is very regional. Some people hate bankers, oil companies, insurance companies, logging, mining, etc. Some landlords may indeed be running an inferior business. What's important to me is my tenants are very satisfied and I am working hard to keep them happy-but not too happy!

there was a day I was a logger ( rape the land) Developer ( worse than logger) and HML all at the same time.. LOL

MY GOD!    You're the devil himself Hinrichs!!

Yes in those days anyone asked me what I did..  I sold shoes !!!

Still makes you a heel, Jay. LOL

In our region divisiveness is being promoted by extreme leftist politicians pushing the UN agenda of Housing as a Right.  Therefore only government can provide it (refer to attempts to take over health care).  Our state legislature (WA) and many local city councils are pushing more extreme "Tenant Protections" that don't actually protect tenants and actually increase costs of doing business for those who stay in the game - chasing many smaller landlords out of the market.  

When the logic doesn't make sense, look at the agenda.  

The unfortunate result is that tenants think the landlord is to blame for ever-increasing rents, tougher screening criteria, and fewer rental options.

Having said that,  I totally agree with what @Lynnette E. said, "The people who are satisfied with their landlords are not the ones being heard. Its the disgruntled folks that are heard. even if they are on a minority."

I get along great with all tenants that follow the rules.  It's always the ones who push the boundaries that cause the trouble! 

I think throughout time popular demographics have pushed the idea that Rich people and hierarchy is equal to oppression  also the push of Oligarchy, and that ideology have grown drastically in the past few years and emphasize harder with radical left movements . Also in movies and different arts you see how is portrait the image that the rich and powerful if is the bad guy and the poor and humble becomes the hero. I think is just  perception.

but in all honesty this post has made me realize that we should push and be a great examples in our communities and disrupt the narrative that been a landlord does not equal oppressions or non cooperative hierarchy .

Put yourself in a renter's shoes. We're talking about some guy that you barely know and aren't friends with who wants to come into your personal space and inspect your home on a regular basis, a guy who tells you to take better care of the lawn, tells you that you can't have a pet even though you're sure that cat isn't going to do any damage to the place, tells you who you can and cannot rent any spare rooms to, and who might tell you to leave on fairly short notice at any time for almost any reason. He barely maintains the place and cheaps out on all the appliances and all the finishes when he does do some maintenance. The furnace is ancient and inefficient and the house is drafty and your heating bills are huge and the garage is full of his stuff so you can't even use it. Oh and you have to pay him hundreds or thousands of dollars every month and act like it's a privilege to do so, and you might have to pay even more money for housing basically whenever this guy feels like he can get away with it. Then if you have to or want to move you've got to kiss up to whatever new landlord you're applying to move in with, and just hope that they accept your application, all because you can't qualify to buy a house where you wouldn't have to put up with any of that, and you don't want to pay 50% more to live in a luxury apartment where you still get treated like a peasant but at least have a nice well-maintained space, though it's two thirds the size or less and you can hear the neighbors all the time and there's constant notices about the rules to remind you who's boss. 

I wouldn't want to rent from a landlord, would you? If you're an independent kind of person who wants a measure of control and dignity with regard to their living space it's basically a terrible arrangement. The question isn't why people hate landlords, it's what are you doing differently to change those feelings?

I think the question pretty much answers itself:because a lot of landlords deserve to be hated.

Here's something to think about for a moment. If you're a flipper or looking to BRRRR, why are you able to pick up a house to renovate in the first place? Who lived there? Sure, sometimes it's owner occupied. Other times it's a rental unit. People who can't afford to buy, rent. And they're stuck with what they can afford. That's too often places that are not clean, of questionable safety, ill-maintained, etc. And then landlord practices, while usually legal, don't exactly win friends and influence people.

I don't happen to understand it.  A typical house these days is over $250K (source: zillow).  If you had a very expensive piece of income producing equipment like a piece of farm equipment, wouldn't you at least want to keep it maintained and preserved so as to maximize it's productive life, particularly if other people were paying to use it?  Apparently this logic doesn't translate into landlording so much.  

Maybe because it has the word 'lord' in the title. We should call ourselves 'landfriends.'

Image, plain and simple, the commonly held image of landlords! So many think the landlord is rich and just sits around all day counting his/her money. Tv and cartoons, in general, portray this image to most when we are very young and accepting. Most people think their $1000 rent is all profit to the landlord, not understanding or caring that 70%/ 80% or even more is going to expenses (especially to the big banks & financial institutions).

Although hundreds of years ago that image-rich landlord counting his money all day was probably more true than not haha...

Originally posted by @Cameron H. Forbis :

in your opinion and it's gotten worse these days...

@Cameron H. Forbis

My tenants Love me because I am very proactive and take care of issues very quickly. If you hire a management company they are reactive. I dominate my rentals because I am that good. 

@Nicky Reader

You are right. I just came from court. Where tenant did not pay rent for 4 month and accuse me of everything from maintenance neglect to setting high rent that she accepted. Bottom line is that tenant use Covid to her advantage with all possible excuses.

The same reason people hate realtors.. they don’t fully understand what they do when when they truly put the work in

@Cameron H. Forbis unresponsive landlords and property managers give most a bad name. Tenants get frustrated when they have to request things multiple times or it’s an actual problem that never gets addressed. On the tenant end they have to be reasonable in there requests to but even when they aren’t we just need to respond timely. If a landlord is really tight on never fixing anything that actually needs to be fixed can make tenants have an impression long term...

Originally posted by @Eric Weldon-Schilling:
Originally posted by @James Wise:
Originally posted by @Cameron H. Forbis:

Various reasons.

• Stupidity
  • Irresponsibility
  • Naivety
  • Ignorance
  • Entitlement

No. For some people maybe.

but honestly there are a number of reasons so many people have a disdain for landlords. And yes. It is a very large amount of people. Even if you have a good relationship with your tenant they will always resent or hate you.

here is why, from a renters perspective:

1. We know that we are either paying your mortgage or just adding to your bank account. we get no benefits from this aside from “not having to pay taxes, etc.”. But most of us have done the math and know we’d be paying less if we could buy.

2. you keep homes that you don’t need and prevent them from being available for people to buy. You drive up the prices by buying up a bunch of properties this making the already less than adequate supply even scarcer.

1. To most people, their home is incredibly important and meaningful. It’s where one feels safe. Where one can rest and enjoy time with friends and family . Where one sleeps and keeps all their possessions. People want that to be stable. But it isn’t. Renters know they could be forced to leave for breaking any rules that someone imposes.
  2. The rules and guidelines about what people can and cannot do. The amount of control a landlord exerts over someone’s life is stifling. “No pets no hanging pictures on the wall no painting, you have to let me in if I give you 24 hours notice or else. I have to keep a key to your door so I can let myself in when I ‘need’ to.” Constant reminders that a persons home isn’t really their home
  3. Rents continue to go up but wages have not. So most of us are paying 30% of our salary to pay someone else’s mortgage and build them equity. It’s the biggest expense most people have and it’s getting ridiculous how much the prices are going up.
  4. We know that if we ever have an emergency or a crisis and are late with one rent payment they you’ll most likely evict at the first opportunity. Frequently it’s a temporary issue and the person would have needed only a couple of weeks to make it up, but then the late fees start piling up. And then you won’t take payments unless it’s the full amount of the rent and your late fees. Then some of you charge for putting notices in the door or for filing with the court. A person who is two weeks late can end up evicted not for the one month rent $800(hypothetical number). They had that $800. But you charged a $100 late fee on the fourth and $25 per day after that. You filed for eviction on the 10th. Wouldn’t take payment or make arrangements. Court is on the 3rd of the next month. Now the tenant owes $2450. For two months. They lose their home and end up scrambling to find somewhere to live or end up homeless. Having no safe and stable place to live often leads to job loss a deeper descent into poverty and despair.
  5. The last year has been hard on a lot of people. Millions have lost jobs and income and are struggling. The entire time all most of you have done is complain about not being able to throw people out and put them at risk of serious illness or death. You complained about there being no money for landlords and then when the programs started to come out you refuse to accept the aid
  6. Having to give a stranger all your private and personal information and basically beg them to allow you the privilege of not being homeless. Knowing they can charge you for background check and deny you for any reason. And still keep your money
  7. You obviously were either lucky or rich enough to be able to buy extra property you have no intention to live in. Or you overleverage yourselves by taking on additional mortgages that you need someone else to pay. A mortgage generally has a grace period of 15 days before charging a late fee. It takes about 6-9 months before they start to move to forceclose. But if a renter is late by one day, late fees and threats of homelessness.

There are so so many others but my hands are getting tired

I gave 5 reasons why people typically dislike their landlord. After reading your post, it's clear that I am 100% correct in my assessment.

Originally posted by @Eric Weldon-Schilling:
Originally posted by @James Wise:
Originally posted by @Cameron H. Forbis:

Various reasons.

• Stupidity
  • Irresponsibility
  • Naivety
  • Ignorance
  • Entitlement

No. For some people maybe.

but honestly there are a number of reasons so many people have a disdain for landlords. And yes. It is a very large amount of people. Even if you have a good relationship with your tenant they will always resent or hate you.

here is why, from a renters perspective:

1. We know that we are either paying your mortgage or just adding to your bank account. we get no benefits from this aside from “not having to pay taxes, etc.”. But most of us have done the math and know we’d be paying less if we could buy.

2. you keep homes that you don’t need and prevent them from being available for people to buy. You drive up the prices by buying up a bunch of properties this making the already less than adequate supply even scarcer.

1. To most people, their home is incredibly important and meaningful. It’s where one feels safe. Where one can rest and enjoy time with friends and family . Where one sleeps and keeps all their possessions. People want that to be stable. But it isn’t. Renters know they could be forced to leave for breaking any rules that someone imposes.
  2. The rules and guidelines about what people can and cannot do. The amount of control a landlord exerts over someone’s life is stifling. “No pets no hanging pictures on the wall no painting, you have to let me in if I give you 24 hours notice or else. I have to keep a key to your door so I can let myself in when I ‘need’ to.” Constant reminders that a persons home isn’t really their home
  3. Rents continue to go up but wages have not. So most of us are paying 30% of our salary to pay someone else’s mortgage and build them equity. It’s the biggest expense most people have and it’s getting ridiculous how much the prices are going up.
  4. We know that if we ever have an emergency or a crisis and are late with one rent payment they you’ll most likely evict at the first opportunity. Frequently it’s a temporary issue and the person would have needed only a couple of weeks to make it up, but then the late fees start piling up. And then you won’t take payments unless it’s the full amount of the rent and your late fees. Then some of you charge for putting notices in the door or for filing with the court. A person who is two weeks late can end up evicted not for the one month rent $800(hypothetical number). They had that $800. But you charged a $100 late fee on the fourth and $25 per day after that. You filed for eviction on the 10th. Wouldn’t take payment or make arrangements. Court is on the 3rd of the next month. Now the tenant owes $2450. For two months. They lose their home and end up scrambling to find somewhere to live or end up homeless. Having no safe and stable place to live often leads to job loss a deeper descent into poverty and despair.
  5. The last year has been hard on a lot of people. Millions have lost jobs and income and are struggling. The entire time all most of you have done is complain about not being able to throw people out and put them at risk of serious illness or death. You complained about there being no money for landlords and then when the programs started to come out you refuse to accept the aid
  6. Having to give a stranger all your private and personal information and basically beg them to allow you the privilege of not being homeless. Knowing they can charge you for background check and deny you for any reason. And still keep your money
  7. You obviously were either lucky or rich enough to be able to buy extra property you have no intention to live in. Or you overleverage yourselves by taking on additional mortgages that you need someone else to pay. A mortgage generally has a grace period of 15 days before charging a late fee. It takes about 6-9 months before they start to move to forceclose. But if a renter is late by one day, late fees and threats of homelessness.

There are so so many others but my hands are getting tired

I'll just address your last comment:

1. You obviously were either lucky or rich enough to be able to buy extra property you have no intention to live in. Or you overleverage yourselves by taking on additional mortgages that you need someone else to pay. A mortgage generally has a grace period of 15 days before charging a late fee. It takes about 6-9 months before they start to move to forceclose. But if a renter is late by one day, late fees and threats of homelessness.

I don't think that most landlords are lucky or rich.  I think that they worked hard.

In my case I worked for an agency that had a major emergency situation.  I was required to work six days a week at 16 hours a day (and add on two unpaid 30 minute lunch periods) for 17 hours a day at work.  On Sunday, they cut us a break,  I only had to work 12 hours and had one 30 minute unpaid lunch period for a 12.5 hour day.  

There was not much of a life.  It went on for 4 months.  Then when the emergency was over we were so far behind on the non-critical work that management gave us a week of regular hours then 2 months of 12 hour days Mon to Sat, and we got Sundays off.  Life seemed wonderful then.  12 hour days were a breeze after having 16 hour days!

We started with 12 chemists and ended this 6 month period with 5 survivors.  It was horribly hard time, but in the end I got a LOT of money from to OT and the bonuses the survivors got.  It let me pay off my home I lived in and buy another.    Some of my co-workers used their money on fixing their houses, vacations, presents for their extended family.  Most did not want to work that much no matter the amount of money they would get and quit.

Most real estate investors that are not institutional, the mom and pop investors got the money to invest the same way I did, hard work, 2 or 3 jobs or one with lots of extra hours or commission.  Most probably worked that extra time more spread out then I did, but the idea is the same, hard work, long hours is how most bought their rentals.  Read on this website and you will hear of many that are over leveraged, but also many who worked hard to get where they are.  You probably won't find as many 'lucky' people or inherited rich investing in real estate as you will self made people.  The inherited rich know there are easier ways to make money then rentals.  

Also, most rentals have a grace period before there are late fees.  In my state it is 5 days by state law.  Mortgages late fees and grace period varies.  My last one was 5 days as well, though some may be more than that.  However, what you may not understand is that the INTEREST on that loan continues when the payment is late, so there is still a lot more owed and more will be paid before the property is paid off when the payment is late.  Mortgage companies can take more time to foreclose on the property because they can get the property back and sell it recovering generally all that is owed to them, and if not, they likely have insurance to cover the loss.  Landlords do not have a very good recovery option when their renters do not pay.  Its hard to find them to serve them, and harder to collect on a judgement...because...they dont pay that either.  Every day the property is occupied by a non-paying renter is just another day of loss rent.  The landlord still has to pay for the water the renter uses, the sewer, the trash, the loan on the property, the taxes and the insurance, oh, and make new repairs.