Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Zach Watson
Votes |
Mold, health inspector, COVID, and eviction?

Zach Watson
Posted Jan 2 2021, 09:17

A few weeks ago a supply pipe had broken in the unit. The water was shut off and the leak was repaired immediately. There is now a hole in the ceiling from cutting through the drywall/plaster. I have found a contractor to come and patch the ceiling to complete the repair. The issue is the tenant believes the whole ceiling needed torn down and replaced with new crown moulding and carpet as well. They offered to do the work in exchange for discounted rent, but then quoted a price of $2000. i respectfully declined and invited my own contractor to quote. My contractor explained to her that there was no damage anywhere else that required more demo/replacement. The tenant got very upset and stormed off. Next she started complaining about mold that “you cant see but its in the studs”. Two days later i got a voicemail from the health department saying there was a complaint against me for a leak and mold in the property. I believe they are attempting to start a lawsuit. I have collected a sample and sent to a lab to test for mold. If mold is present, would that be grounds for an evictions? The lease states that the lease is terminated if the property is rendered unlivable. My main concern is if i tried to get them out it would be considered retaliation. What would you do in this situation? 

Loading replies...