• San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Renting to a violent felon?

MarieChele Porter
Pro Member
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Jan 15 2021, 23:55

Hey y'all,

I know this post is going to seem so rookie to a lot of you but here we go I need your help... I had a potential tenant come by last week (alone) and fell in love with the property... It's not rented yet and she wanted to come by again with her husband and 2 children, which they did tonight... They were pretty much instant friends with me, my mom, and niece and applied before even leaving my house... 

Well low risk credit scores, no evictions, but wait spouse has a murder conviction?!!!... Oh boy... So it was explained to me what happened by the wife he was 17 and went to jail for 25 years and got out 2 years ago...

I'm not a type of person that won't give someone a shot... He left the state it happened when he got out started a new life has a job for nearly a year and is ready to be done with that part of his life...

My question is what type of liability could this open me up to if any? I read that in some states landlords have been sued for knowing about a violent past and something happening at the unit... This is a 2 unit current house hack but I won't be here forever... Am I opening myself up to potential liability issues in the future? Or is it okay to rent to someone that is done with their past and just wants to move on???? 

Loading replies...