Best place to find paint for the best price

30 Replies

Hello,

I am preparing to sell my property coming spring may be March/April 2022 and will be mostly out of station away from my family from January so I would like to get started prepping my home right away while I am here

I realized at a minimum I need to paint the walls and ceilings of all of my units and it looks like I will need to buy a whole lot of paint, can someone please advise what is the best place to buy paint in bulk so I cas n get the best price. I will appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

Cheap paint is expensive, and expensive paint can save a lot of money. Hang with me. Time is your biggest cost for painting so if good paint can cover in less coats the saving is significant. 

What I do is tint match a zinzer or kilz primer to my color as coat one (cheap). After this a single coat of sherwinn Williams super paint covers fully. Per gallon this is expensive paint, but I use less gallons and less time. 

@Aaron F.

Thanks Aaron. I found BEHR Ultra in home depot, the paint seems to be having primer built in, is that good? Or should I go with SW that you mentioned, is it something i can find in HD?

I used sherwin williams super paint as well for the duplex we just bought . We opened an account there and received a nice discount, as well as a $50 off coupon. So that is an option to save some $

@Peter Morgan I have used both Sherwin Williams and Behr from Home Depot. I think both are good paint. If you are a member of a REIA group you should get a 20% discount on paint from Home Depot as part of your member benefits. That should bring the cost down quite a bit on decent paint.

If you have a Ferrell-Calhoun dealer near you, I would give them a try. We switched to their paint about 3/4 years ago - great quality and great price. They can match any Sherwin-Williams color. When you open the paint, it will remind you of old-fashioned paint - thick like pudding. Everything but the darkest colors get covered in one coat. Beyond that, you can also look for a Benjamin Moore if you don

Cheapest paint is probably Conco at Menards, but it is thin and messy. It could take two coats. Maybe one coat if you are covering with similar color, which I would advise if possible.

If you buy a good paint like Sherwin Williams Pro Mar 200, you can one coat coverage. I order it over the phone and just pick it up, but they will deliver too.

@JD Martin   Looks like  Ferrell-Calhoun is a southern to midwest and very regional, they have a map on their website and they don't look to distribute to Iowa or the northeast.   Too bad I was going to give them a try.   

@Peter Morgan tint the primer helps but I have mostly found it makes a big difference for darker colors,   for light colors I am not sure if it saves you a coat.  Just a thought,  do you have to paint everything?  

Originally posted by @Colleen F. :

@JD Martin  Looks like  Ferrell-Calhoun is a southern to midwest and very regional, they have a map on their website and they don't look to distribute to Iowa or the northeast.   Too bad I was going to give them a try.   

@Peter Morgan tint the primer helps but I have mostly found it makes a big difference for darker colors,   for light colors I am not sure if it saves you a coat.  Just a thought,  do you have to paint everything?  

If you have a PPG paint store near you give their Manor Hall a try - it gets rave reviews from professional painters. It sounds really similar to the Ferrell-Calhoun; a thick, old-time paint that has more solids than water and doesn't splatter all over the place and goes on easy. 

Originally posted by @Peter Morgan :

Hello,

I am preparing to sell my property coming spring may be March/April 2022 and will be mostly out of station away from my family from January so I would like to get started prepping my home right away while I am here

I realized at a minimum I need to paint the walls and ceilings of all of my units and it looks like I will need to buy a whole lot of paint, can someone please advise what is the best place to buy paint in bulk so I cas n get the best price. I will appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

We've been buying from Sherwin Williams for years. No complaints.

Sherwin Williams - create an account, then you have a rep that will contact you to ensure you're receiving all your benefits and can assist with your contractors getting discounts (if they don't already have an account themselves) and they'll check-in periodically to make sure you don't have any questions or needs. Great service without being overtly sales-y.

@Peter Morgan

Happy Tuesday!

I'll echo a few others here and suggest not to sacrifice on the quality of product. The majority of cost related to a paint project is labor (time).

For residential, Sherwin Williams SuperPaint is a common middle of the road. Ben Moore product lines would be a step up but will cost you more. I wouldn't drop any cheaper than SuperPaint or another manufacturer's equal.

The coats required will depend on the colors you are selecting and the colors you're covering. For example, lighter colors over darker or deep tone colors will require more to cover properly. The cheaper you go on product, the more you're likely to be applying colored water and coverage will suffer, costing you more time.

There was another who suggested having a paint rep set you up an account. Another idea would see if you have any local contractor friends, general contractors or especially paint contractors, and have them help you out with getting their pricing at the store. They set the order up on their cash account and you pay at the store. Maybe you owe them a lunch for that...

If you're painting doors or cabinets, I would recommend a product called PPG Breakthrough. Roughly 15-20 minute dry to touch time with a recoat window of about an hour or so. Incredibly tough and sticks to damn near anything. It can be brush and rolled but you get the best performance by spraying. I did our cabinets on one of our rentals and it worked great. The dry time and recoat window saves you a ton of time. Good finish - not as good as lacquered cabinets but also much more economical.

Last thought, given potential quantity, talk with the store you're buying from about what they have available. There is a massive raw material shortage due to covid and paint availability is being hit hard. You may not have a choice but to elevate to slightly more costly products.

Good luck and happy painting!

Hello,

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Here is a video Chanel you might find useful.

It's the Idaho Painter: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnrhmEmvA_bIRYkBVPqJ4zg

Good Luck!

Everyone is right, get the most expensive paint not the cheapest. Do it once, do it right. I wound up finding the best to be Behr Marquee (about $50 gal) Usually a 1 coat job.

I had a Rep from Zinzser tell me to get it, said the pigment was ridiculously good, better than theirs. I've had it on a desert cabin for almost 10 years with no significant fade and no deterioration.

Most pro painters I ever used seemed to go with SW.....a good medium+ quality paint

I’ve found paint at Walmart is okay if you want cheap. I used it when I was getting start and every penny counted. I actually like the glidden ceiling paint from there more than many of the more expensive brands. I have also used it for a flip house where I new I wouldn’t be repainting. One downside is they like to change every few years and then you can’t get your color anymore if using it for a rental.

I agree with others to use quality paint, quality brushes like Purdy or Wooster and even quality roller nap. Needs to hold and spread well without leaving fuzzies all over your wall. 

If you're using a painter that plans to spray, ask them for advice.  Thick like pudding doesn't spray, so see what they use.   

I use super cheap maintenance paint on the ceiling. Better paint everywhere else. It does tend to splatter as cheap paints do, but I always do drop cloths when I do ceiling anyway and I do ceilings before walls. 

@Peter Morgan two very important items to understand in this. 

First, the price your paying for with paint is not some arbitrary amount, you are very literally paying for coverage, how much color particulate is in that liquid formulation which directly dictates how much volume will be required to get coverage. Which means the cheaper you go, the MORE volume of paint you will need, AND this adds more labor spent AND the additional rollers and brushes. 

Next is to understand is what a "big amount" is in terms to the paint supplier, because while 200 gal is a lot of paint to a property owner, it's a micro order for a supplier. To put in terms, my BEHR account was volume based and to get one requires a minimum 10k gal annual purchasing, that's the entry level. I had weeks where I burned through 2k+ gal, THATS a lot of paint. So know if your not doing regular volume you can not expect a volume based discount which comes from having a volume based account. Best you could do is connect with someone who does have a volume based account and offer to pay them a few bucks to just process your paint order through there account. 

I suggest using BEHR Premium Ultra, I have found it a perfect combination of coverage efficiency and value pricing. The Marquee or Emerald paints are just over-kill unless a specific need for such. You should get good 1 coat coverage, and able to best stretch the per gal coverage at that. 

Cheaper is almost never cheaper, not in this day and age, cheap comes at a steep results cost. 

Two options: buy a 5 gallon bucket and paint all the walls the same colour or call around to a few paint stores (usually actual paint stores, not big box stores that sell paint) and ask for mistints.  For the latter you can often find quite a few nice neutrals.  I got some for the last rental and paid about $10-12 a gallon vs $40 (I'm in Canada).  When I sold my first condo about 7 years ago, I got 5 gallons (and had lots left) for $35.  Just make sure you have more than you need to do the rooms or go room by room and get another colour for some of the bedrooms.

Agree with the majority of the comments above about quality, we started of using Sherwin Williams ProMar 200.  We switched over to their more economic brand Surescrub down the road.  The rep at the paint store said the promar and surescrub are identical in every manner except how finely they are filtered, and a 2 dollar paint filter bag fixes that!  We transitioned all of our properties over time to the same color, that way we buy in bulk (5 gallons at a time) and always have the right color!

On a side note, not to hijack this thread...anyone else experiencing paint shortages and 5% floor surcharges at their local Sherwin?

@Theresa Harris

Thank you for this is very useful tip, Is Benjamin Moore paint good? I think I will be able to find mistint there.

I've used their paint before and it is good.  I don't know what stores you have, but in addition to what was mentioned (Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams), there is also Dulux.