• St. Louis, MO
Votes |
Liability concerns for property

John Riggs
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Posted Jan 23 2022, 10:31

Hello BP community.  I am looking at an out of state property and just got the inspection back.  A question, the back porch has had settlement which in the inspectors words has caused the porch to slope away from the house at a severe angle.  The house is in Ohio so the first thing that comes to mind is ice and snow on the porch and the tenant slips and falls.  Do I as a Landlord hold potential liability for something if that does happen?  Appreciate any and all feedback, thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jan 23 2022, 13:13

Absolutely possible. World knows landlords are rich beyond imagination so if someone slips and wrenches their back you are a target. Liability insurance is your friend. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 23 2022, 13:19

Of course you are. Even with insurance, if the injury is severe enough they can still come after you. What would it cost to rebuild the porch? $5 -10k...? Or get rid of the porch and just install a basic set of stairs....

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Jan 23 2022, 18:56

@John Riggs as the owner of the property, you could be held responsible for any slip and fall, especially if the plaintiffs lawyer can show negligence.  Sounds like it would be easy for them to get you on the hook for a claim related to this porch.

Another thing you should be aware of.  Once you close and sign up with an insurance carrier, they will most likely do an inspection.  If the porch looks like a hazard, many insurance companies will demand the porch be fixed or removed ASAP, otherwise they will cancel coverage. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Shueh
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied Jan 23 2022, 19:05

Americans are sue-savvy. You need to have it on the contract. Are safety rails there?  Who's job is it to clean porch.  I will spend $ to raise it and show to the tenants you have made necessarily repair.   Furthermore, I suggest you buy umbrella policy to protect you. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jan 24 2022, 04:07
Liability exists, though I would guess it's small if you disclose to the tenant in writing and they accept the risk. My bigger question is: why would you leave it that way? Get it leveled out, replace it, or tear it off. If you don't take care of your property, the tenants may not, either.
  • Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Riggs
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied Jan 24 2022, 04:54

Thank you everyone for your insights it confirmed what I was thinking already.  Very much appreciated!