General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Diem N.
Votes |
Dryer Vent Cleaning - who pays for it?

Diem N.
Posted Mar 5 2022, 13:12

We have a rental property and did not provide a washer or dryer.  The tenant wants us to clean the dryer vent duct since her dryer is not drying well.  What is the landlord's responsibility in California?  I cannot find anything specific to dryer vent cleaning anywhere.

User Stats

Votes
Greg R.
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Mar 5 2022, 14:49

I'm not 100% sure on the law, but I know that if you don't clean a dryer vent it's possible to become a fire hazard in time. At that point it would certainly be a liability. It shouldn't be too much money to get it cleaned out. Someone with a good shop vac that has a long hose can get it cleaned out pretty easily. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 5 2022, 15:49

It's not your dryer or laundry creating the lint that clogged the vent. They clogged the vent, they need to clean it.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Mar 5 2022, 15:51

There is no law, it's just common sense. It benefits your property hugely to have these cleaned and it doesn't cost much. They are a huge fire hazard.

And a shop vac is not gonna do it unless it's a really short duct. The cleaning companies have long bristle attachments that really get the ducts clean, suck it up and pay for it. Least of your problems being a landlord.....

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 5 2022, 15:54

@Diem N.I would just have it cleaned...If you tell the tenants to pay they may not. My mom had a fire start in her garage over the dryer lint. @Greg R. Like Greg said it shouldn't be too much to take care of to prevent a potentially disastrous thing from happening.

User Stats

Votes
Diem N.
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2022, 15:56

Thanks, everyone. I'm just going to get it cleaned and pay for it myself.  

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan G.
  • Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Replied Mar 6 2022, 07:49

@Diem N.

It really depends on how many properties you have. If this is only one of a small amount of properties, invest in a dryer exhaust vent cleaning system off of Amazon. They are pretty simple to use and all you really need is a cordless drill. This will also afford you the opportunity to go over to the property and see how things are maintained overall with your renters. If you have a large amount of properties, probably best to have a contractor do it for you.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew S.
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Mar 6 2022, 08:33
Quote from @Jonathan G.:

@Diem N.

It really depends on how many properties you have. If this is only one of a small amount of properties, invest in a dryer exhaust vent cleaning system off of Amazon. They are pretty simple to use and all you really need is a cordless drill. This will also afford you the opportunity to go over to the property and see how things are maintained overall with your renters. If you have a large amount of properties, probably best to have a contractor do it for you.

I agree - its very easy to do it yourself.  But even if not, a handyman can easily knock this out in less than an hour.  Especially if you have never cleaned the ducts (and you would be surprised how many properties have not) you will be amazed by how much lint and dust can accumulate over time.  I do my 10-12 doors once every few years and don't see that much lint anymore, but the first time I cleaned some of the properties, they literally yielded a bucket full of material.  As others have pointed out, those are fires waiting to happen.

In addition to reducing fire hazards, cleaning the ducts allows you to inspect.  Last cleaning cycle, I had two of my properties with disconnected/damaged vent ducts that essentially vented the dryer into the basement (in one case) or the attic (in the other case).  That is REALLY bad news because dryers generate a huge amount of humidity and those damp spaces are an invitation for mold and wood-rot problems.  Reconnecting the ducts was quick and easy.

Finally, while I almost always agree with @Nathan Gesner on his advice, here I must differ.  Even if you do not supply washer and dryer, you are still 100% on the hook for cleaning the vents.  As long as you provide the hookups, then you are responsible for maintenance.  It is no different than maintaining the electrical outlet for the W/D or the plumbing for the washer.  If the water or the drain pipe burst, are you going to tell the tenant "not my washer - not my problem"?

User Stats

Votes
Andy Webb
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Carrollton, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Carrollton, TX
Replied Mar 6 2022, 08:54

I take it your lease does not dictate who handles this?  Perhaps have that added on your next round.

Highland Properties Logo

User Stats

Votes
Diem N.
Votes |
Replied Mar 6 2022, 18:05

@Andrew S., technically I don't think the landlord is required to clean the dryer vents. I actually did have a handyman go out and clean it, but it didn't help. I think special tools are needed in this instance.  I don't live in the same state as the property, so I decided to just hire professional vent cleaners.  I want to keep the tenant happy and the property properly maintained. Thanks for your feedback.