Votes
Michelle Fox
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Service dogs and Checkers

Michelle Fox
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Apr 30 2022, 12:18

Has anyone ever had a person posing as a potential renter from Fair Housing and saying they had an ESA and were told they would have to pay a pet deposit? Then, received a letter from HUD that they were in violation. What steps were taken and what was the penalty? Thank you for your insight! I am aware that a pet deposit is not required.

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied Apr 30 2022, 13:30

Not quite sure why the question? Are you asking for a friend? 

Yes, they do send out shoppers from fair housing posing as renters and asking leading type questions as you have posed 

No, you can not ask for any type of deposit or fee for a service animal or emotional support animal. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 30 2022, 13:35

Real Service Dogs can be a real life changer for the disabled.

I've seen some incredible ones.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 18 2022, 22:20

Oh sure, they're everywhere.  I've been baited for  Race, Kids, Gay, Disabled.  You can always tell, they're quite obvious. I've had and welcomed all the above tenants so it's not a problem for me.  They go thru their routine then go away.  Still, I think this kind of entrapement should be illegal. Same with other types of entrapment. Except for politicians, I'll ok that.