Votes
Ivan Aldana
Pro Member
Votes |
Question about location

Ivan Aldana
Pro Member
Posted May 4 2022, 19:34

Hello everybody! Is anyone investing in the Cleveland, Ohio area? If so how is it? How is the crime? I’m just kind of skeptical of investing there because I’ve been reading that there’s a lot of crime over there.

User Stats

Votes
Olivia Radziszewski
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied May 5 2022, 02:39

Hi! @Ivan Aldana

Some parts are definitely better than others! I would recommend going down there yourself if you have not already to explore parts that you may be more interested in. Or getting a real estate agent who can help you navigate with their knowledge. 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Replied May 5 2022, 04:20
Quote from @Ivan Aldana:

Hello everybody! Is anyone investing in the Cleveland, Ohio area? If so how is it? How is the crime? I’m just kind of skeptical of investing there because I’ve been reading that there’s a lot of crime over there.

Yes I invest in Cleveland! I put offers on 2 duplexes yesterday and am working on locking them up. Goal is to cash flow 250-300/door.
BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 5 2022, 04:56

Read the Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Shane Kelly
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 5 2022, 06:38

There is crime in every city. You can look at all the data online, but until you actually have driven the streets of an area, you'll never get the full picture. As a general rule of thumb, the West side of Cleveland has less crime than the East side, but each side has areas that are exceptions.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Misch
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 5 2022, 08:04

As stated already, crime happens in every big city. It's a matter of research and having someone on the ground in that city that will be honest with you and wants a long term relationship based on trust. I have investments in Cleveland and the suburbs and my difficulties have been minimal. 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 5 2022, 08:06
Quote from @Ivan Aldana:

I help clients every week find deals in Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus. It all seems to go street by street and neighborhood by neighborhood. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 5 2022, 11:03
Quote from @Ivan Aldana:

Ivan

I'll first acknowledge what other posters have mentioned-- Any city has crime and it is a good idea to take a trip there if you're considering investing there to see with your own eyes.

As for your question about how it is depends on what you're looking for. For me, I am concerned with increasing my cash flow and cash on cash return. After investing there for a year and a half, I get much more value than I did on the coasts. However, If I wanted big appreciation, I might pick another city. There are neighborhoods throughout the city that may give you better cash flow or price appreciation. But there are always tradeoffs. 

Connect with solid people on the ground to assist with due diligence and run your underwriting assumptions by. In any event, you will have to take action in order to get great feedback. Until you actually purchase, everything is theoretical and may or may not apply to your situation.

All the best in your future investing wherever it may be!

Remi

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jul 10 2022, 06:45
Quote from @Ivan Aldana:

Crime will vary greatly across the various neighborhoods and cities in the Cleveland market. you'll want to check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. It should provide you the info you're looking for.

User Stats

Votes
Erin Dorsey Robinson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 11 2022, 06:52

Hi Ivan,

It looks like you've gotten a lot of good answers here so I won't offer any additional opinion as everyone is correct in what they've told you already. I do want to share this map that provides an overview of the types of calls received by the police in various parts of the city. This will not help you to understand the crime in Cleveland relative to other cities but it does add a little bit of objectivity to the discussion. Hope this is helpful, or at least of interest. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Best of luck with your search.

https://clevelandgis.maps.arcg...