General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Abdul M.
Votes |
Suggestions for investing in Georgia outside of Metro Atlanta

Abdul M.
Posted May 4 2022, 20:07

Hi, I currently have one rental property purchased several years ago. I’m looking to acquire another one somewhere in Georgia (where I live). I have ruled out the metro Atlanta area for obvious reasons (the numbers don’t work out anymore).

Anyone have experience with areas outside of metro Atlanta where prices are below $250k and not too many corporate investors to compete with? Thinking about Dalton, Winder, Commerce, Jefferson, Griffin, Locust Grove, McDonough + a few other areas.

Tried to contact some random agents who work with investors and also manage properties, but no luck getting a response. Still plenty more I can reach out to but wanted to see if anyone has experience with these areas and any investor friendly agents. Working on analyzing to see if the numbers even work out.

Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Niyi Adewole
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 5 2022, 04:49

Hi @Abdul M.

I would not rule out metro atlanta or close surrounding cities (i.e. Marietta, Decatur, East Point, Hapeville, Riverdale, etc.). While the "Long Term Rental" numbers may not work, short term rentals are alive and well, and the metro atlanta/close neighboring cities are continuing to appreciate rapidly as more and more individuals and companies move down this way. 

Just my thoughts. Unfortunately i am not as familiar with the areas you mentioned. 

User Stats

Votes
Abdul M.
Votes |
Replied May 5 2022, 20:03

Thanks Niyi! I may take a look at those areas around the airport, I hadn’t considered them, as well as trying the short term route.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ali Boone
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Replied May 6 2022, 00:53

I have a couple property managers that cover my properties in Atlanta and both of them also sell to investors. I don't know what kinds of properties they're finding for folks these days, but I'm happy to ask.

Griffin, McDonough, and Locust Grove probably won't cash flow. Maybe Dalton will, but you almost may have to find an agent closer to Chattanooga for that as Atlanta agents may not go that far.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Grant
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied May 6 2022, 04:46

@Abdul M.,

I am a property manager in NW Georgia and there are still some deals that will cash flow from day one. I can refer you to the Agent I use most often; I'll message you. I know a few wholesalers in the area, as well. Are you looking for something that's rent ready, or do you want to flip? SFR, multifamily, commercial?

User Stats

Votes
Niyi Adewole
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 6 2022, 05:18
Quote from @Abdul M.:

Thanks Niyi! I may take a look at those areas around the airport, I hadn’t considered them, as well as trying the short term route.

No problem. Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss further. I actively invest in those areas mentioned 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 6 2022, 05:34

@Abdul M. if you're focused on cash flow, STRs as Niyi mentioned could be a suitable option. The other strategy that comes to mind and is growing in popularity is co-living investments which can be absolute cash cows. As for traditional rentals, I still come across deals primarily in Conyers, Austell, Cartersville, Union City/South Fulton, and Griffin as you've mentioned. I'll also point out that many investors are overlooking tenant-occupied properties where rents can be increased significantly once the tenant's lease expires. Needless to say, in this market, you have to be aggressive and creative if you want to acquire a deal. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Yinka Taiwo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 6 2022, 18:45

@Abdul M. I have been suprisingly seeing some Kennesaw and Stone Mountain SFR that can cash flow from Day 1 on MLS if you don't use a PM.

Happy to connect directly as well

User Stats

Votes
Holly Barrett
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Replied May 9 2022, 12:50

@Abdul M.

I’m a big fan of North GA, LTR is in HUGE demand up here, like scary huge. And you can still get properties for a steal especially up above Gainesville headed north on that 85 corridor.

User Stats

Votes
Abdul M.
Votes |
Replied May 10 2022, 14:46

Thank everyone for the helpful responses, will reach out to some of you directly for some more info!

User Stats

Votes
Nick Sanders
  • Investor
  • Stockbridge Ga
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stockbridge Ga
Replied May 10 2022, 19:42

Griffin, Mcdonough and Locust Grove have been seeing a lot of investors over the past 1 to 3 years buying low valued properties in bulk and turning them over quick with little work being done. Quick cash flow properties are dwindling but can still be found. I have properties in these areas and also live nearby, my wife is my agent so it simplifies things. Right now Conyers, Covington still have deals to be found but it depends if you looking for SFR, duplex, tri plex not many quads though. What you will find a good bit of here is 2 or 3 SFR or duplex sitting on a single lot which could push you into a commercial purchase due to number of units on 1 plot. Been there done that

User Stats

Votes
Shahin Beyk
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 28 2022, 14:13
Quote from @Ali Boone:

I have a couple property managers that cover my properties in Atlanta and both of them also sell to investors. I don't know what kinds of properties they're finding for folks these days, but I'm happy to ask.

Griffin, McDonough, and Locust Grove probably won't cash flow. Maybe Dalton will, but you almost may have to find an agent closer to Chattanooga for that as Atlanta agents may not go that far.

Thank you for your reply. Speaking of PMs in ATL, I am looking to hire a PM. Do you have any recommendations for me? TIA

User Stats

Votes
Ali Boone
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Replied Jul 28 2022, 15:16
Quote from @Shahin Beyk:
Quote from @Ali Boone:

Thank you for your reply. Speaking of PMs in ATL, I am looking to hire a PM. Do you have any recommendations for me? TIA

I do! I work with two in Atlanta that I love. If you want me to intro you to one or both, shoot me an email and let me know the property address. Reason that matters is because they both do different areas and types of properties, so I can see which one might be a fit. If they both might be, I can intro you to both and you can decide who you like best.

User Stats

Votes
Vinnie Da silva
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Jul 28 2022, 17:29

Hi Abdul,

I suggest you pick a few cities and drive around. That is the best way to get a fell of the city and to see if you even like the area. I went to 45 houses, mostly in North GA  before I pulled the trigger. That's how found the house I just bought in Cumming, below market value. Cumming could be a good city for you to look around. It has great schools district, and its the next city after Alpharetta and Milton. The houses are still affordable, and its not too far from Atlanta metropolitan area. 

User Stats

Votes
Mew Kang
  • Investor
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lincoln, NE
Replied Jul 29 2022, 00:36

Me too also looking in Georgia same areas but for the mobile homes and parks

User Stats

Votes
Shahin Beyk
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 29 2022, 17:47
Quote from @Ali Boone:
Quote from @Shahin Beyk:
Quote from @Ali Boone:

I do! I work with two in Atlanta that I love. If you want me to intro you to one or both, shoot me an email and let me know the property address. Reason that matters is because they both do different areas and types of properties, so I can see which one might be a fit. If they both might be, I can intro you to both and you can decide who you like best.

Great. I didn't have your email but sent you a message to your inbox through BP. Thanks. 

User Stats

Votes
Claude Willi
  • Augusta ga
Votes |
  • Augusta ga
Replied Jul 30 2022, 09:55

@Abdul M.Kang.  please feel free to contact US Blairz INC, we can assist with your investment need.

@Shahin Beyk BLAIRZ INC can certainly assist you with your PM needs.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Williams
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Replied Aug 7 2022, 15:45
Quote from @Abdul M.:

Hi, I currently have one rental property purchased several years ago. I’m looking to acquire another one somewhere in Georgia (where I live). I have ruled out the metro Atlanta area for obvious reasons (the numbers don’t work out anymore).

Anyone have experience with areas outside of metro Atlanta where prices are below $250k and not too many corporate investors to compete with? Thinking about Dalton, Winder, Commerce, Jefferson, Griffin, Locust Grove, McDonough + a few other areas.

Tried to contact some random agents who work with investors and also manage properties, but no luck getting a response. Still plenty more I can reach out to but wanted to see if anyone has experience with these areas and any investor friendly agents. Working on analyzing to see if the numbers even work out.

Thanks 

If you are thinking about Dalton, I'd love to chat with you. That's where I am located, and we cover roughly 7 counties up here in the North Georgia area. Let's talk when you can!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Williams
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Replied Aug 7 2022, 15:46
Quote from @Paul Grant:

@Abdul M.,

I am a property manager in NW Georgia and there are still some deals that will cash flow from day one. I can refer you to the Agent I use most often; I'll message you. I know a few wholesalers in the area, as well. Are you looking for something that's rent ready, or do you want to flip? SFR, multifamily, commercial?

Hey Paul - would love to chat with you and become 'the agent you use most often". :)

Let's connect.