User Stats

Votes
Meenoo Vana
Votes |
Security Deposit for Lease Renewal & Rent Increase

Meenoo Vana
Posted May 9 2022, 13:32

Hi,

I am a year old landlord. I am yet to send out a renewed lease to the tenants. Per market standards, I have notified tenants of the rent increase and they have agreed. Now, I am not sure how much am I allowed to receive as security deposit for the new lease. PA law states, I can charge SD of 2 months for first year and one month for subsequent years. Does that mean, I can charge the whole month of rent as SD for the new lease or just the difference from increased rent amount to the old? Please guide me through. Thanks for any help!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied May 9 2022, 13:39

Typically you don't change the security deposit on an existing tenant.

If they have been there a year and been a good resident, that is a great sign.  You shouldn't need more security deposit. 

The only time changing a security deposit might make sense is if they are transferring from a lower-rent unit to a much higher-rent unit

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied May 9 2022, 13:54

I agree with Scott, you usually don't charge another security deposit when the tenant renews, although, you could increase the amount of the security deposit to match what their new increased rent will be; i.e. their rent is now $2000 and they have a sec dep of $2000.  Now their new rent will be $2400, so ask for another $400 to put in escrow with their first deposit they paid.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 10 2022, 04:53

I agree with the others. If they are good tenants, I bump the rent but not the deposit. If they stay for multiple years, then you may eventually decide to increase the deposit to make it closer to one month of rent.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Meenoo Vana
Votes |
Replied May 10 2022, 05:12
Quote from @Meenoo Vana:

Hi,

I am a year old landlord. I am yet to send out a renewed lease to the tenants. Per market standards, I have notified tenants of the rent increase and they have agreed. Now, I am not sure how much am I allowed to receive as security deposit for the new lease. PA law states, I can charge SD of 2 months for first year and one month for subsequent years. Does that mean, I can charge the whole month of rent as SD for the new lease or just the difference from increased rent amount to the old? Please guide me through. Thanks for any help!

Thanks for all the advice. Appreciate it.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied May 10 2022, 05:41

I've never charged an extra security deposit for a lease renewal.  I collect it when they start their lease and leave it at that.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Camuto
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Robbinsville, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Robbinsville, NJ
Replied May 10 2022, 06:23
Quote from @Meenoo Vana:

Hi,

Most security deposits will stay the same for rental increases. I never increased security held because I got an extra $25/m in rent : )

User Stats

Votes
Don Blake
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Washington, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Washington, NJ
Replied Jul 13 2022, 15:57
Quote from @Kim Meredith Hampton:

I agree with Scott, you usually don't charge another security deposit when the tenant renews, although, you could increase the amount of the security deposit to match what their new increased rent will be; i.e. their rent is now $2000 and they have a sec dep of $2000.  Now their new rent will be $2400, so ask for another $400 to put in escrow with their first deposit they paid.

This is great info as I was currently struggling with same question. Though I agree with the principle of just asking for additional $400 for rent change from $2000 to $2400, this is same as increasing the deposit from $2000 to $2400.... which is essentially in principle what you should want to accomplish.  Great idea!!