General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jason F.
Votes |
Owning long / short term rentals by the Jersey Shore

Jason F.
Posted May 11 2022, 19:31

For those who own long and/or short-term rentals in towns adjacent to shore towns such as Toms River.... what are the biggest challenges with owning rentals in these areas? 

If you own short-term rentals, do you find it hard to make a profit outside of the summer seasons?

Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Dale Going
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Toms River, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Toms River, NJ
Replied May 12 2022, 15:01

Hi Jason,

If you are asking about Toms River in particular, the biggest challenge with TR is that short term of less than one month is prohibited by the township on the mainland. Rentals are a no go if you're looking to do weekly summer rentals or even Airbnb for a night or two. On the island (Seaside and neighboring towns), you can rent however you wish (check with each individual town, as they may have ordinances for one week minimum). The winter is dead there, but some folks are able to get winter rentals in place. Not sure how lucrative that is though. I thought of buying a rental in Seaside Park last year and had concerns. . . What if I had my summer booked, but yet my winter renter didn't/refused to vacate. Worried about that scenario, I passed. That's just me though. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that have been successful with winter and summer rentals of their property. I guess it would just all depend on how thorough of a background check/credit check, etc. you do for the winter rental. I personally think if you want to do vacation rentals/short term, you should purchase in an area that is very tourist or close to it and has vacationers all year round.

Long term rentals. . . I have a couple in TR. As with any rental property, do a thorough credit check, work history, references, etc. The type of house (size, updating, rent charged) for the most part, will dictate what type of renter you'll get.

Wishing you success!

User Stats

Votes
Richard Phillip Lewis
  • Investor
  • Manasquan, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manasquan, NJ
Replied May 15 2022, 06:47

@Jason F. Dale Going is very right in your comment. I think Seaside is a great community that is slowly up and coming. However, its so remote and far removed from major economic centers that it does die in the winter. 

I live in Manasquan and have a short term rental on the beach. We rent no problem in the summer with high demand. We can also easily rent in the winter with families that are doing home improvement or to people that just want to live in Manasquan for the off season. I like Seaside as a possible opportunity, but not till it becomes more active all year round. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason Tarabokija
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Jersey
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Jersey
Replied Nov 25 2023, 05:56

@Jason F., I own a short term rental in Seaside Heights which went live this past summer. It performed great in the summer and is continuing to perform well in the winter. I keep it listed as a short term rental all winter to avoid issues like Dale pointed out with guests refusing to leave in the winter. For November 2023, I am 70% occupied, which I am pleased with. The biggest trouble with managing it is the cleaners. It is difficult to find reliable cleaners that will show up when scheduled and clean the property properly. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out!

Breezy Beach Stays Logo