Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Amy Fortes
Votes |
Tenant's personal property damaged by neighbor - landlord's role?

Amy Fortes
Posted May 14 2022, 20:09

I am a landlord of a tenant in a condo building.  A neighbor (who has a tenant living in their unit as well) 2 floors above's window fell out and crashed onto my tenants' brand new window unit air conditioner and her car, damaging both.  She would like $350 to replace the AC.  She does not have renter's insurance.  What in this situation is my responsibility as the landlord?  Simply connecting her with the landlord of the unit with the broken window?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Martella
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Votes |
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Replied May 14 2022, 22:39

Doesn’t sound like your problem at all.  She should go through the other renter’s insurance.  If it was your AC unit or you caused the damage it would be your problem, but it is the tenant’s unit.  You didn’t make the item fall from the upstairs tenant and not have it renters insurance is at the tenant’s peril.  

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied May 15 2022, 06:18

I agree with Joe, it isn't your problem.  She needs to talk to the building manager/condo association as the windows belong to the building and their insurance should pay for it (assuming the window fell out and not that the upstairs tenant smashed the window).  If a window fell out, they should be inspecting all of the windows in the building.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied May 15 2022, 07:00

Put her in touch with the building/HOA leader and leave it there. If she had renter's insurance they would cover her damages and subrogate against the other party. If no one pushed the window out, it's probably going to be called Act of God and no one is going to pay.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 15 2022, 07:07
Quote from @Amy Fortes:

I am a landlord of a tenant in a condo building.  A neighbor (who has a tenant living in their unit as well) 2 floors above's window fell out and crashed onto my tenants' brand new window unit air conditioner and her car, damaging both.  She would like $350 to replace the AC.  She does not have renter's insurance.  What in this situation is my responsibility as the landlord?  Simply connecting her with the landlord of the unit with the broken window?

It may sound harsh, but you have no responsibility. It wasn't your window that fell. It wasn't your actions that caused it to fall. This is between your tenant and the neighbor. Tell her to contact the neighbor, request compensation, and leave you out of it.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 15 2022, 07:08

Why would a tenant expect you to do anything when it was the neighbors fault/problem/issue?

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied May 15 2022, 07:39

This thread is exactly why landlords are almost universally hated. 

Do you have liability for it? Probably not. But you are a business owner and you have customer. Your tenant is your customer, and you have the ability here to step up and provide great customer service for hardly any money at all.

Instead of trying to figure out who owes exactly every nickel and dime, provide a great experience for your tenants. Provide them stellar customer service. Then your turnover and vacancy rates will plummet, and your tenants will start giving you referrals to other great tenants for your other units.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Paul Camuto
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Robbinsville, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Robbinsville, NJ
Replied May 15 2022, 07:43

Not your problem. If they are a good tenant and you want to make them happy for 350 you can work something out. Think bigger picture but use the other insurance as a first try.

User Stats

Votes
Rod Hanks
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 15 2022, 12:10
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

Do you have liability for it? Probably not. But you are a business owner and you have customer. Your tenant is your customer, and you have the ability here to step up and provide great customer service for hardly any money at all.

Instead of trying to figure out who owes exactly every nickel and dime, provide a great experience for your tenants. Provide them stellar customer service. Then your turnover and vacancy rates will plummet, and your tenants will start giving you referrals to other great tenants for your other units.

When I first read your post I said WTF??? But now that I think about it you are right. Landlord probably needs to replace the window unit for her and I would definitely require her to get renters insurance asap.

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied May 15 2022, 12:17
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

Do you have any rentals personally?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 15 2022, 19:52

@Russell Brazil is 350 worth possible vacancy, or even worse, a tenant in your property mad? I doubt it. I agree with you on this one. Treat “customer” right.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Imperial
  • West Virginia
Votes |
  • West Virginia
Replied May 15 2022, 20:27

This is what insurance is for (in this case renters insurance). Unless its some how proven that it was negligent on the part of the landlord it sounds like a tenant issue not a landlord issue. All of my leases "recommend" that all tenants have renters insurance and that the property is only insured to cover the structure in case of a incident rather it be a fire or other "acts of god". The other side of the token is for a simple $300 some bucks its probably worth doing (let them know your not obligated to do anything, but you are choosing to help) and then having the sign a release

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 15 2022, 23:50

@Russell Brazil  Hmmm. So,  If I'm walking down the sidewalk and a car driving by shoots at me, I should go after whoever made the sidewalk? Gee, that makes sense. (eye roll)....Any tenant that rationalizes like this, I can do without. What would he come up with next?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied May 16 2022, 07:41

Amy,

From an Insurance standpoint:

1. car damage:  Her policy should cover this under "Comprehensive" as a falling object.  She will have to pay her deductible.  If the company recovers from the unit owner above or their tenant, they normally will refund the deductible based on the % the recover.  If they get 50% of the damage they would normally refund 50% of the deductible.  She should discuss it with her insurance company.

2.  Air conditioner damage:  This is more complicated.  Because it is a condo the first thing that needs to be determined is who owns the windows.  It could be the unit owner or it could be the association.  Your tenant would need to put in a claim against the owner.  The reason for the window falling will also determine who is ultimately responsible (poor installation, Tenant removing it, contactor working on it,...)

Although neither is your responsibility as their landlord, you can be a big help by dealing with the association.  They (or their management company) should respond more quickly to you as a unit owner.  

User Stats

Votes
Amy Fortes
Votes |
Replied Jun 6 2022, 08:32

thank you all so much for your input and suggestions!!  This was super helpful.  My end take away was that legally I'm not responsible however if I'd like to provide good customer service I may choose to support my tenant to get reimbursed as well as communicate amongst the owners and property management company.