Votes
Nicole Chang
  • Alameda, CA
Votes |
Tenant Selection Rules-Alameda County/Alameda

Nicole Chang
  • Alameda, CA
Posted May 18 2022, 13:42

I worked with a management company to rent out my townhome and they sent me an application with a set of 3 roommates that barely makes enough as 2 and just squeaks by with the 3 to meet income requirements. While technically it works I don't feel comfortable renting to a set of roommates. Is there a rule that I can't pull my listing all together if I don't like the applicant pool?

User Stats

Votes
Nick Emerson
  • Realtor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied May 19 2022, 15:36

Hi Nicole, 

Your question will vary based on what is outlined in the contract you entered into with the Management Company for Tenant Placement. There should be a section speaking directly to this. Feel free to private message me if you need further assistance. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 19 2022, 23:59

how about....EACH applicant income must be 3x, 4x, 5x, total rent.

EACH applicant must have a credit rating of 800 or higher.

Only one vehicle is allowed on the property, landlord uses the other spaces.

That should weed them out.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Jo McCallon
Votes |
Replied Jun 9 2022, 11:51

Hi Nicole-

My requirement is 2.5x the monthly rent, a credit score of 680 or higher. This applies in the Bay Area and anywhere I rent properties. I manage a very select few properties in the Bay Area (and have a couple of my own). Feel free to reach out if you ever want friendly advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Jo McCallon
Votes |
Replied Jun 9 2022, 11:54

Hi Nicole-

My requirement is 2.5x the monthly rent, a credit score of 680 or higher. This applies in the Bay Area and anywhere I rent properties. I manage a very select few properties in the Bay Area (and have a couple of my own). Feel free to reach out if you ever want friendly advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Replied Jun 10 2022, 10:27

Whenever I have had cash tenants I always required 3x income.

Now all my tenants in the Bay Area are Section 8 or Abode Program so I have Zero worries about the ability to get my money .

User Stats

Votes
Kelsey Bailey
  • Property Manager
  • Bay Area-Greater Sacramento
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Bay Area-Greater Sacramento
Replied Jul 12 2022, 09:55

@Nicole Chang If an ad was posted for your home, with the qualifications specifically outlined, and these applicants applied and met all of the requirements you could run into issues with Fair Housing for possible discrimination if you circle back around and do not allow these applicants the opportunity to rent. It's possible that if you refund them they won't cause any issues, but it's possible that they do push back. 

User Stats

Votes
Raj Ajrawat
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 26 2023, 06:07
Quote from @Brian Garlington:

Whenever I have had cash tenants I always required 3x income.

Now all my tenants in the Bay Area are Section 8 or Abode Program so I have Zero worries about the ability to get my money .

Can you share more details on the Abode Program? Tried searching online but wasn't sure if I was getting the right information.