Votes
Esther Thomas
  • Belmont, CA
Votes |
Notice tenants intent to sell question

Esther Thomas
  • Belmont, CA
Posted May 26 2022, 19:11

Hi, I see various info on the internet so looking for clarification. As a property owner/landlord when selling a property that’s tenant occupied (triplex) can someone help clarify what this 120 day notification to tenant of intent to sell? I’m confused on this. Hopefully it doesn’t mean I have to give them 120 days notice before property can be sold or listed. (California Civil code 1954) Property is in Santa Clara county in California. We need to sell because my mom got sick. It all came together fast. Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied May 26 2022, 19:35

The section applies to a LL entering to show a unit for sale with 24 hr notice from the tenant that was given in person, verbally or by telephone. In order for that to be acceptable it must begin with a written notification that states the pending sale, and that the LL may later request specific dates verbally. The open ended written notice is only applicable for 120 days. Otherwise the 24 hour notice to enter must be in writing.

User Stats

Votes
Chad Hale
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied May 27 2022, 08:06

@Esther Thomas  Your realtor should have the correct notice form, Notice of Sale and Entry  (CAR form NSE).  It covers what @Matt Devincenzo said.

If you need a realtor, I can refer you to a couple of great agents.

Best

Chad

Pintail Property Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes