• Rental Property Investor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
Shreveport, LA Section8

Morghan Manier
  • Shreveport, LA
Posted Jun 4 2022, 09:26

Hi! I am looking to purchase my first investment property in Shreveport. We are looking for small multi and I am very interested in renting to Section8. I was wondering if anyone else in the area is currently doing that and could chat. Thank you!! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 4 2022, 12:15

Hi @Morghan Manier, although I have not personally gone through providing Section 8 housing in Shreveport, I have researched the process. Here is what I have found; start by calling or emailing the local authority for information about the process and updates on rental rates (also, check here https://www.huduser.gov/portal...). The Housing Authority website is https://hacsla.com/. From there (and once you have a property), you set the rent amount and find a tenant with a housing voucher. After that, you notify the housing authority, and they will schedule the inspection for your property. If you pass, the tenant gives their current landlord 30 days' notice. After the tenant moves in, it may take three months before Shreveport Housing Authority processes everything and sends rent payments, but it does include back pay. 

Many people provide affordable housing to Section 8 tenants in Shreveport, and I can direct you to some of those people. They can probably offer more information than I can, but I hope this was a helpful start. Please reach out if you need anything else, and happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Morghan Manier
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 4 2022, 12:24
Quote from @Trey Aker:

Hi @Morghan Manier, although I have not personally gone through providing Section 8 housing in Shreveport, I have researched the process. Here is what I have found; start by calling or emailing the local authority for information about the process and updates on rental rates (also, check here https://www.huduser.gov/portal...). The Housing Authority website is https://hacsla.com/. From there (and once you have a property), you set the rent amount and find a tenant with a housing voucher. After that, you notify the housing authority, and they will schedule the inspection for your property. If you pass, the tenant gives their current landlord 30 days' notice. After the tenant moves in, it may take three months before Shreveport Housing Authority processes everything and sends rent payments, but it does include back pay. 

Many people provide affordable housing to Section 8 tenants in Shreveport, and I can direct you to some of those people. They can probably offer more information than I can, but I hope this was a helpful start. Please reach out if you need anything else, and happy investing!

That is SO helpful!! I really appreciate it!! I would love to be connected with some of those people if you don't mind! Thank you again! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 4 2022, 12:38

You can find many such people in the Facebook groups for local investors. Join RE360 and SBREIA on FB. 

User Stats

Votes
Morghan Manier
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 4 2022, 13:48

Will do, Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Faulk
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 4 2022, 15:20

@Morghan Manier I agree with @Trey Aker he is spot on. 

User Stats

Votes
Morghan Manier
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 4 2022, 16:32
Quote from @Michael Faulk:

@Morghan Manier I agree with @Trey Aker he is spot on. 

Perfect! Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Lee Nugent
  • Investor
  • Naples FL and Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Naples FL and Shreveport, LA
Replied Jun 8 2022, 05:07

I would also look at both Shreveport and Bossier for their housing authority. It has been a popular opinion of many investors (including my own) that I prefer the Bossier Housing Authority. Average time to place a tenant with them has been 2 weeks or less, while Shreveport took two weeks just to give an inspection date of two more weeks out. I've had great experiences with Bossier Housing, and rather poor ones with the Shreveport HA. Best of luck with it!