General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes

How much above comps if all appliances are included?

Posted Jun 9 2022, 19:29

My wife and I are grooming our single home for rent. We'll be including frig/ deep freezer in the basement/ dish wash/ stove/ microwave/ laundry wash/dryer/ water softener system. My question is how much above comps could I list my rent for? And is that too much maintenance liability on my end? I'll be planning to include the salt for the water softener and filters for the furnace as well. I'm thinking that will interest more tenants, and that will be my way of coming every other month or so to do an inspection at the same time while I replace the filters/ add salt ects. Thoughts? Also the reason we are including all the appliances is that we don't want to move it back and forth, we'll be living with my dad until we find another investment opportunity. 

Kansas City, Kansas

User Stats

Votes
Nathan G.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 10 2022, 04:44
Quote from @Jerry Lo:

My wife and I are grooming our single home for rent. We'll be including frig/ deep freezer in the basement/ dish wash/ stove/ microwave/ laundry wash/dryer/ water softener system. My question is how much above comps could I list my rent for? And is that too much maintenance liability on my end? I'll be planning to include the salt for the water softener and filters for the furnace as well. I'm thinking that will interest more tenants, and that will be my way of coming every other month or so to do an inspection at the same time while I replace the filters/ add salt ects. Thoughts? Also the reason we are including all the appliances is that we don't want to move it back and forth, we'll be living with my dad until we find another investment opportunity. 

You can check local rental stores to get an idea of what a washer/dryer set may rent for. Same with other appliances. If comparable homes do not include the softener and the washer/dryer, then you may be able to bump your price a bit. Probably not more than $100 a month.

User Stats

Votes
Mackenzie Grate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ulster County, NY
Replied Jun 10 2022, 06:39

Yeah, I'm not sure it will be worth the time and effort on the back end for repair and maintenance...if this is more of an excuse to check on the property, that is one thing. But even that may seem a bit excessive for tenants. Totally up to you though. If that would give you more peace of mind, then do it. :)

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 10 2022, 06:52

@Jerry L. I would imagine that the washer/dryer would bring the most value. I paid $45/month to rent mine a couple years ago. The rest of those things seem standard or non-value adding.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Martin
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Replied Jun 10 2022, 07:00

In my area most of these appliances are standard and you hardly ever see a house for rent without basic kitchen appliances.  I don't include a washer or dryer as they are the appliances most prone to abuse and maintenance and when I buy a house with them included I just sell them or give them to the tenants telling them they are theirs to maintain.  I would also skip on the deep freezer especially if it is older.  The last thing I would want is a tenant calling to complain that the deep freeze went out and wanting me to pay for their 1/2 cow and all the other food in there.  My lease says it is the tenants responsibility but with a loss as large as a deep freezer I don't want to open myself up to that possibility.  I am currently closing on a home with a water softener and am going to look into having it removed as it is just one more thing for me to worry about.  

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jun 10 2022, 16:38

@Jerry L. sell the deep freeze. If W/D is usually included in the rentals in your area include them otherwise I would let the tenants get their own if they are higher end machines you might want to sell them.  You will only get more for the W/D.  

As for filters and salt I would put that on the tenant and just come periodically to see that its done. That way you aren't as intrusive.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 11 2022, 17:02

Got it thanks for the inputs everyone I appreciate it. One more question regarding the garage door openers, I have one opener for each garage doors, should there be a clause and what would I put or charge if the tenants doesn't return the garage door openers? 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Martin
Votes |
Replied Jun 11 2022, 19:16

Yes, I put in there that I include 2 garage door openers that need to be returned upon moveout along with the 2 keys that I really don't care about, but it is in there to return them more of a symbol they moved out.  If they don't, I'd buy new ones and take it out of the deposit but I always have gotten them back.