• Real Estate Investor
  • Monroe Township, NJ
Votes |
Tenant caused damage and rehab

Abdul Azeez
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Monroe Township, NJ
Posted Jun 14 2022, 06:04

Folks - I previously shared my experience regarding the complete mismanagement by Reedy and company of my rental in Memphis, TN. I have now changed the PM and the problem tenant who caused a lot of damages has vacated. I would like to sell off the property. While the tenant was there I had listed my property for sale when previous PM was managing and 4 offers fell through. Now that the move out inspection has been done the new PM is estimating $11k worth of repairs. I would like to sell this property asap. Should I invest in these repairs and what are some of the right questions to ask? Additionally do I have any recourse against the tenant? She had outstanding balance on the ledger by previous PM. So I expect the security deposit will go towards that but I think she has caused more damage than what the security deposit will cover. The previous PM told me there was no point going behind these kinds of tenants to pursue relief. Kindly advise what my course of action should be.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jun 14 2022, 06:25

Most of the time you will never get your money back.  What is the market like where you are at?  If the market is still good and you are happy with the price you'd get without doing the $11K in repairs, then sell it as is.  Other option is to do some of the repairs that are quick and will help it sell faster.

User Stats

Votes
Abdul Azeez
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Monroe Township, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Monroe Township, NJ
Replied Jun 14 2022, 06:52
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Most of the time you will never get your money back.  What is the market like where you are at?  If the market is still good and you are happy with the price you'd get without doing the $11K in repairs, then sell it as is.  Other option is to do some of the repairs that are quick and will help it sell faster.

I had three offers fall through. So I suspect I will have to do some repairs. Market seems good but I can't actually say until I sell.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 14 2022, 06:54

Will the $11,000 in repairs get you $11,000 more in $$ when you sell? This is simple math to me.

I'd guess the answer is no.

User Stats

Votes
Terrell Garren
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, NC
Votes |
  • Concord, NC
Replied Jun 14 2022, 07:04

Additionally do I have any recourse against the tenant?

You will find no satisfaction going after people with nothing to lose.  I suspect you are tired of dealing with the whole situation.  Sell 'as is' and move on with life. 

User Stats

Votes
Abdul Azeez
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Monroe Township, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Monroe Township, NJ
Replied Jun 14 2022, 07:12
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

Will the $11,000 in repairs get you $11,000 more in $$ when you sell? This is simple math to me.

I'd guess the answer is no.

With the issue that 3 offers fell through I suspect I have to make repairs to sell.

User Stats

Votes
Abdul Azeez
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Monroe Township, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Monroe Township, NJ
Replied Jun 14 2022, 10:00
Quote from @Terrell Garren:

Additionally do I have any recourse against the tenant?

You will find no satisfaction going after people with nothing to lose.  I suspect you are tired of dealing with the whole situation.  Sell 'as is' and move on with life. 

Three offers had fallen through earlier. Should I sell as is or rehab and sell?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Svendsen
Pro Member
  • Front Royal, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Front Royal, VA
Replied Jun 14 2022, 10:34

If what needs repaired would affect home getting financed I would do repairs.  Such as no functional bathrooms, flooring missing, kitchen not present, etc.  Some mortgage CO will not finance a home with certain issues.  Somehow our first rental made it through financing only because when they did inspection I took old cabinets and countertop with sink in it off the trash pile, set it in kitchen where plumbing was, and that was my kitchen.  Some lenders more picky than others so unless want to limit yourself to possibly only cash buyers I would look at it that way.  Fix what needed cheaply and put on market.  Or put on market but be prepared to fix something fast if needed to get financing done.

User Stats

Votes
James Wachob
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Jun 14 2022, 12:07

@Abdul Azeez Have you considered filing a civil suit against the resident? The problem may be the ability to collect. With proper documentation and photos, you should easily win the case. Collecting is the unknown. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Gessner
  • Pomona, NY
Votes |
  • Pomona, NY
Replied Jun 14 2022, 16:12

@Abdul Azeez if you sell to a cash investor then you could opt to do no repairs, dm me the info on the property

User Stats

Votes
David T.
  • Landlord
  • Ontario, CA
Votes |
  • Landlord
  • Ontario, CA
Replied Jun 15 2022, 01:55

@Abdul Azeez If you can afford the $11K to fix it, fix before you sell. You’ll get the $11K back most of the time.

If you can’t afford the $11K, sell it immediately.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied Jun 15 2022, 03:30

why did the offers fall through?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 15 2022, 05:10

Based on what I know, I would keep the deposit and make only the repairs that will help the property sell. Leave the rest unfinished and sell as a fixer-upper.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 27 2022, 09:38

@Abdul Azeez,

You most likely won't get your money back from the tenant.

In regards to rehabbing or selling the answer is really simple. Depending on what you want (money or ease?) I would recommend listing the property as is and seeing if you can get a suitable price for it. If you don't get a successful sale in 60ish days either find a better agent or consider doing the rehab and selling for more. You can't undo the work/investment once it's done, so you might as well try to sell as is. See if you can get an all cash, no inspection offer. A good realtor who specializes in this should be able to secure you one in a reasonable time. I would not wait. TBH lots of people are starting to panic about what to do with their money, given the current global economic conditions.