General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes

water heater vent hood installation question

Posted Jun 17 2022, 07:30

My city code requires the vent hood of the water heater to be secured with 3 screws at the minimum. Most hoods only have 2 mounts that can be screwed on the water heater. Anyone have any tips or experience?

Kansas City, Kansas

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 17 2022, 08:54

@Jerry L. Can you give some more background? Why are you getting a city inspection? Is this blocking you from getting some permit? Did this just come up in a home inspection? Is the hood faulty in any other way?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 17 2022, 10:08
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

@Jerry Lo Can you give some more background? Why are you getting a city inspection? Is this blocking you from getting some permit? Did this just come up in a home inspection? Is the hood faulty in any other way?

just getting my house ready for rent and this is on my cities website. Most vent hoods i see don’t even have 3 joint connection that can be screwed on the water heater so I’m confused. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan G.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 18 2022, 04:55

Code says three screws. I'm looking at your picture and it appears there should be a third tab in the back that could be screwed down.

Talk to the inspector and I'm certain they'll tell you exactly what is wrong and exactly what is needed to fix it.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 18 2022, 04:58
Quote from @Nathan G.:

Code says three screws. I'm looking at your picture and it appears there should be a third tab in the back that could be screwed down.

Talk to the inspector and I'm certain they'll tell you exactly what is wrong and exactly what is needed to fix it.

That’s not a picture of my water heater that’s just a picture from the cities website 

User Stats

Votes
David Lee Hall, III
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jun 18 2022, 11:33

You can order one online for $10. If yours doesn’t comply with local code, any handyman or plumber should be able to update with your other punch list items

User Stats

Votes
Dwayne Poster
  • Investor
  • Van Isle
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Van Isle
Replied Jun 18 2022, 14:59

looks like they are referring to the pipe joint connections that require 3 screws. In a lot of these cases, the components of the unit itself, are part of the certification, mandated by bylaws, and the mention is for field installation items. In your case, the piping, not the manufacturers supplied (certified) vent hood.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 18 2022, 18:01
Quote from @Dwayne Poster:

looks like they are referring to the pipe joint connections that require 3 screws. In a lot of these cases, the components of the unit itself, are part of the certification, mandated by bylaws, and the mention is for field installation items. In your case, the piping, not the manufacturers supplied (certified) vent hood.

You mean 3 screws rite above the hood vent where it connects to the piping?

User Stats

Votes
Dwayne Poster
  • Investor
  • Van Isle
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Van Isle
Replied Jun 18 2022, 18:33
Quote from @Jerry Lo:

yes, and every section of piping that is connected to the next.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 19 2022, 08:57
Quote from @Jerry Lo:

yes, and every section of piping that is connected to the next.

Makes sense, thank you so much!

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Gabaldon
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jun 19 2022, 16:19

@Nathan G. Your absolutely right. Inspectors can be a pain in the ***. Best thing to do is ask them exactly what they want and do it while they are there so they can sign it off. I've also gotten his cell number to send him pictures when it's done. They love when you can save them a trip back to the property.