• Real Estate Consultant
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Is the Housing Market Correcting?

Darren D Hogg
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Jun 22 2022, 08:39

If you’re following the news, all of the headlines about conditions in the current housing market may leave you with more questions than answers. Is the boom over? Is the market crashing or correcting? Let me know your thoughts. I assist Real Estate Investors with finding Deals. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 22 2022, 08:56
Quote from @Darren D Hogg:

If you’re following the news, all of the headlines about conditions in the current housing market may leave you with more questions than answers. Is the boom over? Is the market crashing or correcting? Let me know your thoughts. I assist Real Estate Investors with finding Deals. 

You should vote on and check out the poll we have going at BiggerPockets.com/forums right now on this exact topic! Looks like most investors feel that the market is going to be flat or rising slightly. 

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Jun 22 2022, 09:21
Quote from @Scott Trench:
Quote from @Darren D Hogg:

You should vote on and check out the poll we have going at BiggerPockets.com/forums right now on this exact topic! Looks like most investors feel that the market is going to be flat or rising slightly. 

I'm in the flat or rising slightly category. Inventory levels are still WAY too low for there to be any type of crash or correction. People bought houses in the 80's when interest rates were 17% so they'll buy when they're at 6-7%.

And right now there's just over 1 million homes available to buy nationwide (normal would be around 2 million). During the 2008 crash there were 4 million.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jun 22 2022, 11:16

Definitely slowing, but more demand that availability still. 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Shri
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 22 2022, 13:59

Properties may loose value if they are in D class neighborhoods, or the neighborhood/town is dependent on Amazon fulfillment center. C class properties most likely will hold value, B class properties will increase a little and A class may hold or up a bit.

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 22 2022, 14:53

I can only go by what I see in my area. Inventory is extremely low at all price points. Fairly priced starters (<$500K) are gone off the market super fast - days, not weeks/months. Most mid-levels ($750K-$1.25M) are gone fairly quick. Seeing quite a few price reductions on the higher end ($2M+) and they are sitting on the market longer, but these are homes that have gone up $1M+ since COVID and the sellers are asking strong money for them. 

It seems like a lot of buyers are now playing cautious and hoping for a correction so they can get in at a lower price level. A lot of people got priced out of the market over the last few years by doing this. Gut feeling is that the number waiting on the sidelines is much larger this time, so that may cause a short-term slight drop in price as there is less competition, but once these people re-enter the market, prices are going to go back up as there just isn't enough inventory. The good about this many people waiting on the sidelines is that the masses are usually wrong. 

The major unknown is the economy and the mid-term elections. The economy could worsen faster than anticipated. The expected mid-term bloodbath failing to materializing and therefore the current government policies continuing to harm the economy could push prices lower. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#2 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Bill Brandt#2 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 22 2022, 15:11

Building starts dropped 14% according to recent reports. That’s not leading to lower prices. The lowest average yoy appreciation in the country was Iowa at $17k, nationally the average was $64k. Hawaii and California were over $120k, AZ and NV filling out the top 5. 

User Stats

Votes
Robb Almy
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Replied Jun 23 2022, 02:23

Like politics, all housing is local in my opinion. However, overall I think we are definitely cooling because of the higher rates. As mentioned by others, inventory is still low in most places so that is helping to protect values in the short term. We may see some decrease in values over time but a lot of real estate has been overvalued as of late. The good news is that depending on your financing and your cash flow, if your property goes down in value it is a loss on paper that you can ride out and then hopefully ride back up. Patience will be key. 

User Stats

Votes
John Acheson
  • Renter
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Renter
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 26 2022, 23:19

OF COURSE AND I can prove it on a daily basis,

Zillow is still hiding the TRUTH,

BUT RedFin is telling the TRUTH!

Click on your target city/area,

then click Remove Boundary

then click on All filters

then click the box

Price reduction.

Then compare TODAY

vs one week vs month.

You will BE SHOCKED by

the downward pricing!

User Stats

Votes
John Acheson
  • Renter
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Renter
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 26 2022, 23:21

PS wait til MSM announces RECESSION in a week LOL

Panic Selling

Foreclosures

Price Cuts

Layoffs

BKs

follow me on LI if you want data!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 27 2022, 01:37
Quote from @Robb Almy:

Like politics, all housing is local in my opinion. However, overall I think we are definitely cooling because of the higher rates. As mentioned by others, inventory is still low in most places so that is helping to protect values in the short term. We may see some decrease in values over time but a lot of real estate has been overvalued as of late. The good news is that depending on your financing and your cash flow, if your property goes down in value it is a loss on paper that you can ride out and then hopefully ride back up. Patience will be key. 

How is looking in West Virginia? I am looking at a rental to buy