Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jay C.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
HELOC variable rate. Should I lock it now?

Jay C.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Jun 22 2022, 12:38

Hi all,

I purchased a rental house back in Dec. at a low interest rate and using a HELOC for down payment and rehab costs. With interest rates rising and those of us with HELOCs with variable rates, what's the strategy that would help a Buy/Hold investor to weather these economy for the coming years? I wanted to do a refi cash-out after my rehab, but that took 2 months longer than anticipated and the rates are not favorable for me to do that. Besides...I'm not sure I could get what I need from a refi cash-out to cover the mortgage (1st lien) and the HELCO (2nd lien).

Details of the financing below:

Purchase price: $255K
Mortgage: 3.0% for 30 years
HELOC: 5% (as of today) for an 10 year interest only payment
Rehab costs: $80K
Monthly mortgage/taxes/insurance is: $2395
HELOC is : $433 (as of today)

I have the opportunity to lock in the HELOC rate 3 times in the life of the Loan, but it would up my expenses.

Here are my options with the HELOC:
1) Interest only – option
30 year calculation (360 months)
Use the current prime rate, add in your margin 1.5 to get the rate, and only look at your Interest portion to determine your minimum payment

2) Rate lock - option
Will be 20 years (240 months) of principal and interest payments
Rate = current prime rate, + your margin 1.5 + HELOC current lock in margin .75

Please offer your thoughts as I'm sure I should lock in at whatever the interest rate is now, but it would up my HELOC monthly payment to $1050 for 20 years. Or should I just pay the interest only mortgage that adjusts with the Prime rate.

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jun 22 2022, 13:10

It's hard to predict.  The Fed might have over done their interest rate hikes, and rates will come down in the future.  Or, inflation is the problem they choose to solve with more rate hikes.  The Fed has communicated the intention to continue rate hikes.  

Where did you get a HELOC? Is it on your primary?

User Stats

Votes
Jay C.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jun 22 2022, 13:22
Quote from @Kerry Baird:

It's hard to predict.  The Fed might have over done their interest rate hikes, and rates will come down in the future.  Or, inflation is the problem they choose to solve with more rate hikes.  The Fed has communicated the intention to continue rate hikes.  

Hi Kerry,

I got my HELOC on our first home that became our first rental property after we moved out. Pen Fed allows HELOCS for a rental investment properties. After studying this chart of Prime rate changes over the past few decades, I can say I'd rather pay the Prime Rate that is variable and cash flows better than, pay down my HELOC and kills my cash flow by $800.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Walter Pineda
Pro Member
  • Downey, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Downey, CA
Replied Jun 22 2022, 14:34
Quote from @Jay C.:
Quote from @Kerry Baird:

Hi Kerry,

I got my HELOC on our first home that became our first rental property after we moved out. Pen Fed allows HELOCS for a rental investment properties. After studying this chart of Prime rate changes over the past few decades, I can say I'd rather pay the Prime Rate that is variable and cash flows better than, pay down my HELOC and kills my cash flow by $800.

Hi! Thanks for posting I plan to use a Heloc for the rehab on a rental
and learned for your experience thanks again. My uneducated opinion
would be to keep the cash flow. Yeah, the fed's meeting is on July 27-28 but no one can predict the future.

User Stats

Votes
Jay C.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jun 23 2022, 06:27
Quote from @Walter Pineda:
Quote from @Jay C.:
Quote from @Kerry Baird:

Hi Kerry,

Hi! Thanks for posting I plan to use a Heloc for the rehab on a rental
and learned for your experience thanks again. My uneducated opinion
would be to keep the cash flow. Yeah, the fed's meeting is on July 27-28 but no one can predict the future.

Hi @Walter Pineda,

Using a HELOC was a great way to fund a rehab. I did notice that Pen Fed in particular was finicky with cashing checks. Several of my contractors weren't able to cash the checks from Pen Fed due to electronic ACH from the credit union to another bank. To get around this, I moved the HELOC funds I needed to pay the contractors to my personal account and paid from there. 2 extra steps, but not too bad.

Best wishes on your rehab.