Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes

Eviction No Court dates for Paterson, NJ

Posted Jun 26 2022, 11:09

I have issued eviction against my tenant around Jan 2022 for my 2 unit property in Paterson, NJ. Its been almost 6months, still there is no sign of court dates. When i ask my lawyer his standard response is, "i have no idea" What shall i do? 

User Stats

Votes
Johnny Rodriguez
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 26 2022, 11:55

You can call the City of Paterson and find out while file number their on. Example If you docket number is 001986-22 and the city says their on docket number 001586-22 you have 400 cases in front of you. Hope this helps. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 26 2022, 21:29

Thanks Johny. I will try calling the City and getting the information. Appreciate the help.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ron Brady
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Burlington County, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Burlington County, NJ
Replied Jun 27 2022, 05:38

@Vignesh Kumar Subramanian

Since January?!? My goodness. That is ridiculous!  We have rentals in Burlington County and we just started and withdrew an eviction. We lost the month's rent but we're glad the resident is out.

If you've not already considered it, cash-for-keys may be an option--paying the resident(s) to leave.  This said with an eviction court backlog that long, the resident(s) incentive to leave is limited.

Final thought is that our very good south jersey attorney told us the same "I have no idea" thing with our eviction matter, so it is just where NJ is these days.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

User Stats

Votes
Rashad Ellis
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jun 27 2022, 15:48

@Vignesh Kumar Subramanian

We are in unprecedented times edpecially in NJ. And its really frustrating. Ive been wondering if the court response timelines are the same right now for illegal eviction claims

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 27 2022, 16:54

@Ron Brady Yes its beyond ridiculous now. I tried cash for keys also. I offered 2-3 months for keys, but my tenant is beyond helpless. He knows he cant find any place now with his condition. They are ready to wait it out and probably leave after court hearing. Thanks for the wishes though! 

@Rashad Ellis I have to call the court and ask for the waiting timeline. 

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Thomas
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 27 2022, 17:09

There are no lease violations you can evict on? Marijuana smoking, loitering, etc.?  We did some COVID evictions.. We got around the eviction for no pay was through lease violations.  In Paterson, I'd be surprised of there isn't any lease violation.

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Thomas
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 27 2022, 17:12

Another option is to go court and file a New Jersey Ejectment Action. Law Office of Michael D. Mirne, LLC might be able to assist. No connection with him, but he's written about the process. It would had been certainly faster than what you're going through now..

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 27 2022, 18:15

@Calvin Thomas I am a new landlord. So i havent been strict at all on all those matters. Honestly speaking mentally i took a backseat once i lost hope of the tenant moving. I am just waiting for the court now. 
The lease has expired. Will the terms and conditions on the old lease still be valid for them, if i am looking out for violations. 

Thanks for the inputs. I will look into NJ EjectmentAction and Michael D Mirne LLC. Appreciate your help!

User Stats

Votes
Rashad Ellis
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jun 27 2022, 18:42

@Calvin Thomas

Pretty sure ejectment action fpesnt apply if they are/were a legal tenant

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Thomas
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 27 2022, 18:47
Quote from @Rashad Ellis:

@Calvin Thomas

Pretty sure ejectment action fpesnt apply if they are/were a legal tenant

Depends if the lease was expired when he took over the building. Also, he can legally "sell" the building to an LLC and then the LLC can then go for an ejection action after the deed is recorded. Again, I am not an attorney, but these things are done all the time. It's expensive, but with the proper representation, things can get done through the court. Considering he's out 10s of thousands of dollars already with no light at the end of the tunnel, this may be his only hope. This isn't NYC. A person couldn't pay me to be a residential landlord in NYC.

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Thomas
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 27 2022, 18:49
Quote from @Vignesh Kumar Subramanian:

@Calvin Thomas I am a new landlord. So i havent been strict at all on all those matters. Honestly speaking mentally i took a backseat once i lost hope of the tenant moving. I am just waiting for the court now. 
The lease has expired. Will the terms and conditions on the old lease still be valid for them, if i am looking out for violations. 

Thanks for the inputs. I will look into NJ EjectmentAction and Michael D Mirne LLC. Appreciate your help!

Need to run it like a business dude. If not, the tenants will eat you alive. If you do not want to run it like a business, hire a good property manager to be the enforcer.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 28 2022, 16:56

@Calvin Thomas I tried. I felt with the anti eviction law, the tenants were not scared. I couldnt hold them against the rent payments, as they (mainly me behind running them) were also trying rental assistance. But yes regards to violations i could have been more vigil. 

Many times thought of property manager, but since already my pocket is burnt. Didnt want to deepen it.

Also, he can legally "sell" the building to an LLC and then the LLC can then go for an ejection action after the deed is recorded. Again, I am not an attorney, but these things are done all the time. It's expensive, but with the proper representation, things can get done through the court.

I want to try this. I just registered an LLC and wanted anyways to move the property to the LLC. Have started the topic with my lawyer.

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Thomas
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 28 2022, 18:41
Quote from @Vignesh Kumar Subramanian:

@Calvin Thomas I tried. I felt with the anti eviction law, the tenants were not scared. I couldnt hold them against the rent payments, as they (mainly me behind running them) were also trying rental assistance. But yes regards to violations i could have been more vigil. 

Many times thought of property manager, but since already my pocket is burnt. Didnt want to deepen it.

Also, he can legally "sell" the building to an LLC and then the LLC can then go for an ejection action after the deed is recorded. Again, I am not an attorney, but these things are done all the time. It's expensive, but with the proper representation, things can get done through the court.

I want to try this. I just registered an LLC and wanted anyways to move the property to the LLC. Have started the topic with my lawyer.

1st thing is first, get rid of these tenants by any legal means necessary. Second, you need to get your management ducks in the row.  You should use a tenant management platform such as apartments.com, tenantcloud or rentprep.  Next, if you are going to continue to invest in dumps such as Paterson, you need to rent only to Section 8 or gov't backed tenants.  You can need to reach out to the County of Passaic's Department of Human Services.  They will help you with various government programs helping placing tenants into public assisted housing. When you are ready, I am happy to PM you the county contact we deal with in Passaic.  While we do not operate in Paterson, we manage properties around Paterson.  Happy to guide you out of this mess.  Your best option would be to eventually sell Paterson and move into another property that isn't located in a very undesirable area.