• Investor
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Votes |
Property Management hourly rate

Peter Chester
  • Investor
  • Santa Cruz, CA
Posted Jun 28 2022, 09:51

I'm reviewing an operating agreement for a project and noticed a clause affording a budget of $100/h for a property manager. I'm so used to seeing property management discussed as a % of rents or turnover fees that I'm not really sure what to make of this.

Do property management companies typically have an hourly rate? What's a typical multiunit hourly rate in the SF Bay Area?

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied Jun 28 2022, 09:57

i usually see that if they do additional items, such as; waiting with contractors, going to court etc… just need to clarify a % rate(which is typical) in the marketplace for PM’s

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jun 28 2022, 11:29

When I had a PM the hourly rate depended on the person to whom the job was assigned. Showing was 45/hr for example.

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jun 28 2022, 14:36

@Peter Chester Is this a development project?

Is so, are you confusing "property manager" with "project manager" or "site manager"?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 29 2022, 05:00
Quote from @Peter Chester:

I'm reviewing an operating agreement for a project and noticed a clause affording a budget of $100/h for a property manager. I'm so used to seeing property management discussed as a % of rents or turnover fees that I'm not really sure what to make of this.

Do property management companies typically have an hourly rate? What's a typical multiunit hourly rate in the SF Bay Area?

Can you share the clause?

I assume this is for work above-and-beyond ordinary management. For example, if you wanted the Property Manager to collect bids and supervise the addition of a deck on your property, that goes beyond ordinary management, so they will charge extra for that.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chad Hale
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jun 29 2022, 09:17

@Peter Chester  What is the hourly rate for?  Things beyond normal property management (usually percentage of collected rents / turnover fees) ?  The scope of expertise being asked for has some bearing on the rate charged.  For project management, one common way to bill is by a fixed overhead percentage (10-15%) of the work being performed.

Many/most licensed/insured handyman services are charging $100 or more per hour in the bay area.

Pintail Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kelsey Bailey
  • Property Manager
  • Bay Area-Greater Sacramento
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Bay Area-Greater Sacramento
Replied Jul 12 2022, 09:16

Hi @Peter Chester

Most property managers will have an hourly rate outlined in their contract for items that might be requested of them outside of the contract. This leaves room to be able to help you with anything you might ask of them even if it falls outside of the contract but still be paid for their time. That rate does seem a bit high - but we bill out our hourly rate in 15-minute increments so that if whatever we are doing for you doesn't take up the full hour you don't pay for it.