Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Douglas T.
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
My tenant will sign lease after start date?

Douglas T.
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jul 3 2022, 06:48

I have a parking space that I rent out, and my tenant is renewing her lease.  I used Rocket Lawyer for the lease, and sent the lease to her for signature on 06/30/22.  The lease has a start date of 07/01/22 and an effective date of 06/30/22 (the date I created the lease).

As of 07/03/22, my tenant has yet to sign the lease.  I accept full responsibility because I didn't get the lease to her until the day before it started.. and on a holiday weekend.  So, it's no big deal.. except.. once she does sign, should I change the start date of the lease (07/01) or the effective date (06/30) before I sign it and give her a copy?

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jul 3 2022, 07:15

Keep the date the same, but give her a deadline to sign the lease.  Also has she paid July rent?  in some areas, the tenant goes to month to month if the lease expires.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 4 2022, 05:00
Quote from @Douglas T.:

I have a parking space that I rent out, and my tenant is renewing her lease.  I used Rocket Lawyer for the lease, and sent the lease to her for signature on 06/30/22.  The lease has a start date of 07/01/22 and an effective date of 06/30/22 (the date I created the lease).

As of 07/03/22, my tenant has yet to sign the lease.  I accept full responsibility because I didn't get the lease to her until the day before it started.. and on a holiday weekend.  So, it's no big deal.. except.. once she does sign, should I change the start date of the lease (07/01) or the effective date (06/30) before I sign it and give her a copy?

Stick with the plan and hope it works out.
  • Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.