Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Gayle Eisner
  • Investor
  • Monterey, CA
Votes |
Wi-Fi or Not to Wi-Fi, That is the Question......

Gayle Eisner
  • Investor
  • Monterey, CA
Posted Jul 7 2022, 11:38

Hi all:

I own a little 1 br house ADU behind my house but it does not have Internet. I can not use my Internet connection back there...So I was wondering what others are doing? Most of my prospective tenants are 30-somethings and want privacy and wi-fi, preferably high-speed...So I have tried a little device that plugs into the wall outlet that is suppose to reach other connections...but it does not work to the house in back...any other suggestions. Right now, I tell prospective tenants to use their phone hotspot but I would like to offer more as I am getting some good applicants but no wi-fi is a big issue.

Also, I would like to add more storage.  Any suggestions? I could add a shed to the yard for access, but I was hoping for a less expensive option...... Thoughts?  Thanks in advance! Gayle in Monterey, CA

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 7 2022, 11:51

Obviously, you could just sign up for another dedicated service and have it run to the ADU. But of course this will cost you monthly, and I guess tht's what youre trying to avoid.

Yeah, I've heard those wall extenders are bogus.

You could try relocating your wifi router to the back of your house as far as you can, and this might put it within reach of your ADU.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Tom
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Jul 7 2022, 12:06

Powerline Ethernet Adapters must be on same circuit. Therefore you will not be bale to get it to work if the ADU is on separate circuit.

You can get a mesh wifi system to cover the house and the ADU. Mesh is better than a wifi extender IMO.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jul 7 2022, 13:31

@Gayle Eisner they won't install a line to the unit? 

For more storage  you can just put up a pre-fab shed or build one like this Suncast 5 ft. 10.5 in. x 3 ft. 8.25 in. x 6 ft. 5.5 in. XL Vertical Storage Shed BMS6202 (homedepot.com) , What are they storing? I think a very small storage area is fine if you have an ADU. You only want them to store on site what they are actually using. The rest should go in a storage unit or be discarded. You want something big enough they can store things like bikes and skis, the christmas tree etc. in it. If you are in a watercraft area or bike area you can put up a rack but there has to be something to lock things too.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Tom
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Jul 7 2022, 14:21

The size of the shed will be determined by what you, or the potential tenants, will be used for. 

Like what @Colleen F. stated above, that Suncast shed is great for small items like yard tools. But if you will be sharing with the tenants, or the tenants have other bigger items, you will need to look at bigger shed like Toughshed, or Monarch Do-it Yourself 10 ft. x 8 ft. Outdoor Wood Storage Shed (80 sqft.).

Also how big is the yard? A big shed might take up too much space.