General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Timon Tran
Votes |
Need advices on eviction

Timon Tran
Posted Jul 8 2022, 23:11

Hi. I am a landlord of a single-family unit. I had a verbal lease agreement with the tenants. Now, they cut off communication with me and refuse to pay the rent despite me trying to contact them and knocking on the door. I feel they are doing something shady inside my property, and I passed by the property several times and saw no vehicles or people. Last morning, I saw a strange car or person going in and out of the property. I sent them a "notice to pay rent or quit" through certified mail. At this point, I do not think they will sign to receive the mail. I believe I got scammed. Should I keep proceeding with the eviction? Can I go back into my property and change all the locks now?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 9 2022, 04:38

@Timon Tran

Talk to an attorney asap and get them involved

Note to yourself - never ever ever do a verbal lease. “Giving a renter a verbal lease is a great idea” said no one ever.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Jul 9 2022, 05:01

Definitely start the eviction.  Make sure it mentions the tenants and all occupants.  You can post a notice that you are doing an inspection and give them the required amount of time (usually 24 hours, but check your local laws).  They don't have to give permission, you can enter at the time you said.  If they changed the locks, you need to call a locksmith.  Call the utility company and see if the utilities are still in the tenant's name.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 9 2022, 06:58
Quote from @Timon Tran:

Since you're in California, all I can do is recommend you hire an attorney and do this the right way.

In the future, you should consider using a professional property manager. They are much cheaper than the mistakes you're making.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied Jul 22 2022, 17:35

I agree with Chris! Tough lessoned learned but get with an attorney asap to right the wrong.