• San Diego, CA
Votes |
"Rent Responsible" and Landlord Obligations

Michael Johnson
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Jul 9 2022, 22:53

Hello,

If a tenant breaks their lease and chooses to go rent responsible in order to not pay the lease break fee, what are the landlord's obligations in this case? Couldn't they just not list the apartment until the existing lease is up?

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 9 2022, 22:59

A landlord is typically obligated to make reasonable efforts to re-rent as soon as possible. I say typically because I am not familiar with San Diego or CA laws that much but doubt CA is that relaxed or friendly towards landlords. If you don’t the tenant may have a counter claim against you.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 10 2022, 05:28
Quote from @Michael Johnson:

Hello,

If a tenant breaks their lease and chooses to go rent responsible in order to not pay the lease break fee, what are the landlord's obligations in this case? Couldn't they just not list the apartment until the existing lease is up?

Most state laws require the landlord to make a "good faith effort" to find a replacement tenant. You can only hold the departing tenant liable until the new tenant takes over.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jul 10 2022, 07:22

I'd talk to the tenant and tell them you will try to get it rented as soon as you can and then they are only responsible for the rent up until the new person moves in.  For the landlord to deliberately not look for a new tenant is wrong.

User Stats

Votes
Twana Rasoul
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 13 2022, 17:00

I just had a tenant move out this month here in San Diego, 5 months before the end of their lease due to personal circumstances.  They allowed me to show the property for a couple of days to find a new tenant...new tenant moved in the day after previous tenant moved out and I returned their entire deposit.  No vacancy loss, just the little extra work of couple of days of showing and writing up a new lease. Regardless of laws and what the leases might say, I think it is important that we make a reasonable effort to accommodate  and not penalize.

• Real Estate Agent California (#02026495)

Compass Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Johnson
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 25 2022, 18:00

Thanks all. In this case, my girlfriend is the tenant so we were seeing if the apartment manager was holding up their end.