• Lake Oswego, OR
Votes |
Security during the tenant turn-over

Pavan Krishna
  • Investor
  • Lake Oswego, OR
Posted Jul 11 2022, 19:41

Hi,

I'm a long-distance landlord.  I've a house in San Jose bay area and live out of state.  After the last tenants vacated, I spend 2 weeks at this house, got it all fixed up, engaged a tenant placement service and returned home.  Now the problem starts. 

Some seedy characters (perhaps based on the rental ads) figured out that this house is empty.  Our gardener called me today to let me know that 5 people picked the lock, entered the home.  They were drinking, smoking marjuana, etc..  As I'm out of state, I'm not in a position to respond right away and also cannot live at the house until i find my next tenant.  I called the local police non-urgent line to report the suspicious activity.  

Did anyone face similar situation?  How best to keep the bad guys out?  Are there any security companies that provide security to a home between tenants?  Should I install an alarm system?  Change the locks to more complex/advanced ones?  Install smart cameras?  Am open to any suggestions.

Thanks for your time

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jul 11 2022, 19:58

@Pavan Krishna  when we invested OOS we always had a PM. You could also have an alarm  that monitors doors and windows My Alarm company will call the cops or fire department as needed. Sorry you had that experience.Housing in San Jose is expensive I would not undertake that without a PM if I were OOS!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 11 2022, 22:12
Quote from @Pavan Krishna:

Did anyone face similar situation?  How best to keep the bad guys out?  Are there any security companies that provide security to a home between tenants?  Should I install an alarm system?  Change the locks to more complex/advanced ones?  Install smart cameras?  Am open to any suggestions.

Security systems aren't easy to move in and out. You need something that is permanently installed or you need someone watching the house.

It may help to put up signs and window stickers indicating there is a security system, even when there's not. You can also install motion-detector lights in front and back of the house to scare off anyone attempting to sneak up at night. Beyond that, it will require a real security system or a real person.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Jul 11 2022, 23:39

Very hard to do - I run into this problem with rehabs as well. 

I typically change the locks, put up a few solar motion sensing lights and some stickers on the windows/doors. That's about all you can do without serious investment. 

Cameras/Security systems are going to require power and generally wifi. Adds up. And that still doesn't stop someone from entering and just damaging that system. It's not realistic that you will find them and get compensation either. 

I've almost learned that this is just a part of it and don't keep too much at the house. Thankfully I've neve had anything major stolen (appliances, HVAC, things like that). 

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 12 2022, 05:00

Ring doorbell and a cellular wifi device. The doorbell is pretty easy to install and then remove. 2 wires, 2 screws.

User Stats

Votes
Karl B.
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
  • Erie, PA
Replied Jul 12 2022, 06:32

Simplisafe is your friend. It's easy to install as well as remove. 

I have it in an unoccupied property with two interior cameras I can view at any time. 

User Stats

Votes
Kelsey Bailey
  • Property Manager
  • Bay Area-Greater Sacramento
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Bay Area-Greater Sacramento
Replied Jul 12 2022, 08:42

Having a representative in the local area who is in and out of the house frequently or can at least respond to the issue and get over and secure the place while the squatters are out and about is helpful. Also, property managers tend to be able to get the rehab done and the vacancy filled quite quickly which shortens the window for people to figure out it's vacant.

Security systems might be helpful, but also squatters know that the cops are unaware if they have any rights to the home and they typically won't remove people without a formal eviction taking place. So sometimes you still find yourself in a pickle there, but they may deter some. 

User Stats

Votes
Chad Hale
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 12 2022, 09:50

@Pavan Krishna  As Karl said, Simplisafe is probably your cheapest and easiest camera solution.  Should be able to setup motion detection to notify you if someone goes in.

The traditional alarm companies like ADT will require installation fee, monthly fee, and a 2+ year contract.

Motion activated lights may help?  People are pretty bold these days since there are typically no consequences from getting caught.

Pintail Property Management Logo