Votes
Jerome Morelos
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
Financing a Detatched ADU using Renofi.

Jerome Morelos
  • Redlands, CA
Posted Jul 14 2022, 22:30

Hey BP, does anyone have any experience with financing ADU's? I am thinking of financing a garage conversion ADU on my primary residence. I have been researching different loan programs and Renofi stood out to me since they will lend based on the ARV of the home (90% LTV). ADU cost would be around 95-100k, monthly payments ~$800-$850. Projected rental income for the ADU would be $1,500. That along with renting out my primary residence would give me a net cashflow of about $700 (which is great in California).

Questions/thoughts:

1) If I decide to sell or refinance a home with a secondary home loan, would I be required to pay it off in full? 

2) California is offering a 40k grant to build ADU's using a qualified CalHFA lender. Only issue is most of these lenders require you to refinance your home which I want to avoid. But they are in the works of expanding to different loan programs that don't require you to refinance. Is it a good idea to wait for this to take advantage of the grant?

3) Will my property taxes and insurance increase from the garage conversion ADU?

4) Completely throw out the ADU idea and just open a HELOC against my primary residence to buy a second investment property.

Riverside, California

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied Jul 14 2022, 23:07

@Jerome Morelos I don't but I am really interested in how this turns out. I live in Redlands currently in a rent by the room househack. I can ask a few agent friends if any clients have done the same thing. 

User Stats

Votes
Jerome Morelos
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Jul 14 2022, 23:27

@Nicholas Coulter That would be great, thanks. How many bedrooms are you renting out? 

What's holding me back from the ADU is I won't be able to tap into equity of my home anymore since its tied with the second home mortgage.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied Jul 14 2022, 23:29
Quote from @Jerome Morelos:

@Nicholas Coulter That would be great, thanks. How many bedrooms are you renting out? 

What's holding me back from the ADU is I won't be able to tap into equity of my home anymore since its tied with the second home mortgage.

We have a 4bd 2 ba. We live in the master and rent out the 3 spare bedrooms. Covers the entire mortgage!  If you wanted to take the equity you could always buy an owner occupant multi family and rent out your current 100%!

User Stats

Votes
Jerome Morelos
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Jul 14 2022, 23:47

@Nicholas Coulter Wow that's great. How much rents are you getting per room? North or South Redlands? Yes that was my initial plan, to rent this property out and purchase another primary residence. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied Jul 15 2022, 10:44

@Jerome MorelosI am right next to the UofR around a mile away. I am averaging 900 a room! With shared bathroom for all 3 tenants. The power of house hacking! You could buy another and rent those rooms out also!

User Stats

Votes
Mario Stowers
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Redlands CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Redlands CA
Replied Jul 15 2022, 15:45

Hello you all. We have a couple SFR in Redlands. Most of which have ADU's. We also host meet ups monthly in the area sometimes at one of our ADU's. We are very will versed in the ADU area of investing. Please join us at one of our meetups and lets talk. I think I am allowed to share my contact info 909-754-0602. Full disclosure I am a mortgage lender and own a ADU company based out of Redlands CA

Strategic-conversions.com 

To answer your initial questions 

1. You would be required to pay both 1st and 2nd loans if you refinance  

2. The Grant is for preconstruction costs (plans/ permits/ etc) and they are going to be more creative as to how this money is disbursed in the future but no promises as of yet.

3. With our 2 car garages converted we saw on average about a $250/ year increase on taxes (not a big deal) Insurance about $10/ month once you disclose to them that you added an ADU

4. Its not so bad to refi cash out to build an ADU if the numbers make sense. I call it the BRARR method LOL. There are certain things to keep in mind if you plan on refinancing when it comes to the appraisal like keeping access to the main unit so the added square footage is calculated when they run comps etc. A lot of these things we learned the hard way!

Our company does 2 car garage conversions for around 65K and you can also sometimes do a junior ADU within the main house that cost a lot less (under 20K) So that could change your options a bit. But call me if we can help in any way and lets all get together and chat it up Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Carolina Solorzano
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jul 15 2022, 16:18

Hello Mario, thanks for posting this as I'm actually looking into ADUs. Even though I'm based in San Francisco, I have friends in the area and I'd love to attend your next meetup. 

User Stats

Votes
Jerome Morelos
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Jul 16 2022, 08:42
Quote from @Mario Stowers:

Hello you all. We have a couple SFR in Redlands. Most of which have ADU's. We also host meet ups monthly in the area sometimes at one of our ADU's. We are very will versed in the ADU area of investing. Please join us at one of our meetups and lets talk. I think I am allowed to share my contact info 909-754-0602. Full disclosure I am a mortgage lender and own a ADU company based out of Redlands CA

2. The Grant is for preconstruction costs (plans/ permits/ etc) and they are going to be more creative as to how this money is disbursed in the future but no promises as of yet.

3. With our 2 car garages converted we saw on average about a $250/ year increase on taxes (not a big deal) Insurance about $10/ month once you disclose to them that you added an ADU

4. Its not so bad to refi cash out to build an ADU if the numbers make sense. I call it the BRARR method LOL. There are certain things to keep in mind if you plan on refinancing when it comes to the appraisal like keeping access to the main unit so the added square footage is calculated when they run comps etc. A lot of these things we learned the hard way!

Our company does 2 car garage conversions for around 65K and you can also sometimes do a junior ADU within the main house that cost a lot less (under 20K) So that could change your options a bit. But call me if we can help in any way and lets all get together and chat it up Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Jerome Morelos
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Jul 16 2022, 08:49
Quote from @Mario Stowers:

Thank you for the information.

Definitely interested in attending the meet-ups! I’ll give you a text in a bit.