User Stats

Votes
Kenisha B.
Votes |
Aspiring REI doing my homework

Kenisha B.
Posted Jul 23 2022, 02:10

Hello BP Fam,

I'm looking to relocate to houston from los angeles to owner occupy a multifamily property. I need to familiar myself with TX rental laws. Any recommendations on articles, videos, etc I can refer to? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 23 2022, 05:02
Quote from @Kenisha B.:

Hello BP Fam,

I'm looking to relocate to houston from los angeles to owner occupy a multifamily property. I need to familiar myself with TX rental laws. Any recommendations on articles, videos, etc I can refer to? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Full of practical advice from marketing to screening to leases to handling lease violations to termination or eviction. It also points you to the laws for your state. One book for 49 States and a separate book for California.

You can also Google search "Texas Landlord Tenant Law" and you'll find a ton of free resources.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ashlee Hutson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pearland, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pearland, TX
Replied Jul 23 2022, 05:16

@Kenisha B.

Welcome to the community! I think you’re headed in the right direction as Houston is a great place to begin your investing journey and house hacking in the easiest point of entry. Our job growth and appreciation is ideal for investing. If you haven’t already, I would suggest reaching out to an investor friendly realtor to help you in your search. Best of luck! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jul 23 2022, 06:37

@Kenisha B.

Welcome to Houston!

The income growth and appreciation here are steady.

All the best

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Jul 23 2022, 10:00
Aloha,

For ANY locale, simply google your state name and "landlord tenant law". You should perform the same, but separate, search with your county name and your city/town name also. In addition to your standard, established laws and ordinances, you are more likely to find the most recent updates as well within the first page of search results.

User Stats

Votes
Kenisha B.
Votes |
Replied Jul 23 2022, 14:39
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Kenisha B.:

Hello BP Fam,

Buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Full of practical advice from marketing to screening to leases to handling lease violations to termination or eviction. It also points you to the laws for your state. One book for 49 States and a separate book for California.

You can also Google search "Texas Landlord Tenant Law" and you'll find a ton of free resources.

Great advice. For some reason I didn't realize NOLO was reputable and I forgot it's nationwide and not just specific to my area. I appreciate you!

User Stats

Votes
Kenisha B.
Votes |
Replied Jul 23 2022, 14:41
Quote from @Richard F.:
Aloha,

For ANY locale, simply google your state name and "landlord tenant law". You should perform the same, but separate, search with your county name and your city/town name also. In addition to your standard, established laws and ordinances, you are more likely to find the most recent updates as well within the first page of search results.

Thanks for the response Richard. We'll do!

User Stats

Votes
Kenisha B.
Votes |
Replied Jul 23 2022, 14:43
Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Kenisha B.

Welcome to Houston!

The income growth and appreciation here are steady.

All the best

Thanks for the well wishes Wale! I'm excited for this next chapter. 

User Stats

Votes
Kenisha B.
Votes |
Replied Jul 23 2022, 14:56
Quote from @Ashlee Hutson:

@Kenisha B.

Welcome to the community! I think you’re headed in the right direction as Houston is a great place to begin your investing journey and house hacking in the easiest point of entry. Our job growth and appreciation is ideal for investing. If you haven’t already, I would suggest reaching out to an investor friendly realtor to help you in your search. Best of luck! 

Hey Ashlee! Thanks for the advice. My bestie recommended his realtor. She's old school and has been in the business for 3 or 4 decades and owns a lot of investment property. However, she doesn't quite see my vision and isn't familiar with alot of the revitalization happening in houston. Additionally, she doesn't have answers to some of my investing questions. I don't wanna write her off, I mean I've never been to houston so I don't even know if my vision makes sense... not to mention I'm a professional in my field but every now and again I don't know an answer to a question (but I usually get back to people). That said, how would I know if I have a "good" investor friendly realtor? Like what are some things to look out for or to ask?

User Stats

Votes
Ashlee Hutson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pearland, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pearland, TX
Replied Jul 23 2022, 15:37
Quote from @Kenisha B.:
Quote from @Ashlee Hutson:

@Kenisha B.

Hey Ashlee! Thanks for the advice. My bestie recommended his realtor. She's old school and has been in the business for 3 or 4 decades and owns a lot of investment property. However, she doesn't quite see my vision and isn't familiar with alot of the revitalization happening in houston. Additionally, she doesn't have answers to some of my investing questions. I don't wanna write her off, I mean I've never been to houston so I don't even know if my vision makes sense... not to mention I'm a professional in my field but every now and again I don't know an answer to a question (but I usually get back to people). That said, how would I know if I have a "good" investor friendly realtor? Like what are some things to look out for or to ask?

I think a good investor friendly realtor has the following qualities:
•Has investment properties themselves
•Has worked with other investors
•Is always learning. Keeping up with the current market trends and learning difference REI strategies.
•Is able to articulate why your approach may or may not work in that specific market.

Also, decades of experience doesn’t make automatically make someone an expert or an expert in what you need.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 24 2022, 14:21

Talk to property managers. They see it all