General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Robert Fisher
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Davenport, IA
Votes |
More important to have 3 bedrooms or a big living/dining room?

Robert Fisher
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Davenport, IA
Posted Jul 25 2022, 17:06

I just purchased a new SFR (3/2, 1014 Sq Ft) and it has a very small "living room" and virtually no area to be considered a dining room. The bedrooms are comfortable in size, but I could knock out one wall, get rid of a bedroom, and make a much nicer living and dining room.

Would a 2/2 with a nice area for a living and dining room be more appealing than a 3/2 with a small living room and no dining room? 

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 25 2022, 18:38

I would not lose a bedroom. That determins the rent amount.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 25 2022, 18:57

Is there room to eat in the kitchen?  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robert Fisher
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Davenport, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Davenport, IA
Replied Jul 26 2022, 06:22
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Is there room to eat in the kitchen?  

Not a ton, but enough for a small dinette. There’s probably about 3-5 feet behind me in these pictures. The wall to be removed would be the wall on the right of the carpet. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 26 2022, 06:31

They could put a small table next to the door by the thermostat.  Other option is remove the storage closet and add a counter top with an overhang. they can then eat there and it would give more storage and open up the kitchen a bit.  If you do that, I'd also look at moving the fridge to the area behind the front door basically flipping the fridge and the lower cabinets.  The stove right now is tucked in the corner with no counter space next to it.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 26 2022, 06:43

Depends on your market. Can you increase its value or add more rents when you have a big living room? Chances are adding a bedroom will add more value 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jul 26 2022, 17:06

@Robert Fisher  As far as those pictures I would spend money on the kitchen regardless but 3 bedrooms generally rents for more.You would get more out of reconfiguring that kitchen space and doing one LVT floor across the entire living room/kitchen and retaining the bedroom. That is a bad kitchen layout. Get rid of the closet and put a shallow 12 inch pantry (think stacked wall cabinets on one wall of kitchen. Put a cabinet next to the stove instead of having it agianst the wall, moving the rest of the kitchen closer to the door. Add some shelves if you don't put uppers.  They can decide where they want a table.

have an apartment where we set up one room off the kitchen perfect for a dining room table with 3 nice windows looking out on the garden, every single tenant has put the table in the living room instead.  

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied Jul 26 2022, 17:29

market specific I suppose but bedroom all day as a base case. Thats definitely an eat in kitchen btw. I definitely wouldn't lose a bedroom when you have a living room in addition to that, small or no