Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Fake Credit Report?! Tenant Screening in Houston, TX

Isaiah Matsumura
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jul 25 2022, 17:09

I have a SFR for rent and realized that an applicant's Credit Report was completely fraudulent! The applicant's realtor sent over a TransUnion credit report that looked fine to the eye... but when I hit ctrl+A, I saw there were text rows highlighted but completely blank. I copied and pasted into a fresh .ppt doc and guess what I found? Yep, a different name, addresses, negative accounts, and a different Credit Score!

It looks like the "hidden" text had the font color changed to white (to match the background) and new textboxes were added with the fake info.  

My realtor has flagged this to HAR and I'm writing this to hopefully help other landlords.  I'm obviously not goin to entertain the application but what do I do?  Have others run into this before?  Is this common?

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jul 25 2022, 17:28

These days you can buy all kinds of documents on the internet. W2, tax return, credit report, anything you want. Be careful out there!

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Matsumura
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 25 2022, 19:54

@Bjorn Ahlblad this is so crazy. The worst part (allegedly, right now) is that we think their realtor is in on it. SMH

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Jul 25 2022, 21:52
Quote from @Isaiah Matsumura:

@Bjorn Ahlblad this is so crazy. The worst part (allegedly, right now) is that we think their realtor is in on it. SMH

I doubt that the realtor is involved their license would be at risk

User Stats

Votes
Lionel Lin
  • Pflugerville, TX
Votes |
  • Pflugerville, TX
Replied Jul 26 2022, 06:31
Always get the screening results directly yourself.  I use mysmartmove and zillow, that way there's no chance for them to manipulate the credit report.  They can still fake paystubs and bank statements.  You can call and verify employment.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 26 2022, 06:42

Make sure you screen your tenants with a screening company. I use go4rent 

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Matsumura
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 26 2022, 07:41
Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

I doubt that the realtor is involved their license would be at risk

I hope it's not true but the it was fishy when they sent over the Eviction Report (out of mysmartmove) that didn't match the applicant's name.  Turns out, the name matches the hidden info on the faked credit report.  The Eviction Report shows it's coming from the realtor's account.  

I just checked the Criminal Report and it's tampered in the exact same way.  Selected over the name, copy and pasted... and boom, the same name popped up from the hidden info on the credit report.  Two tampered documents, same info, same methods, same system, and evidence it's coming from the realtors account.  

100%, can't trust anything.  They're probably just preying on the landlords that just don't think it's possible.  

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Matsumura
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 26 2022, 07:42
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Make sure you screen your tenants with a screening company. I use go4rent 

I'll check it out thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Matsumura
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 26 2022, 07:45
Quote from @Lionel Lin:
Always get the screening results directly yourself.  I use mysmartmove and zillow, that way there's no chance for them to manipulate the credit report.  They can still fake paystubs and bank statements.  You can call and verify employment.

100% agree now.  I'll check those out thanks!  Another red flag was their place of work, the generic website had two pictures, no info, and just a "contact for pricing"... 

User Stats

Votes
Timothy Winfield
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Jul 26 2022, 07:46

Wow thanks for giving us an heads up. Great catch!!! I usually just use turbo tenant or another landlord app and they pull it as well as background checks on the tenants tab. This ensures it accurate and it hasn't been tampered with.

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 26 2022, 08:37

A Credit Bureau Report cannot be distributed by another party so that was the first red flag.  The realtor wasn't real bright or integrity-filled.  The FBI has a site for warnings on rental scams...many are targeted at landlords.  Bottom line:  make the application and screening processes under your control.  Go with a national online service and have the results sent directly to you.  Anytime you're given a CB report by a tenant or representative, refuse it.  

And, good work on your part...pretty impressive.  

User Stats

Votes
Chad Hale
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager / Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 26 2022, 09:07
As others said do your own checks.  Our company policy is that we run all of our own credit/background checks etc.  The prospect is welcome to submit as much documentation as they want but we still do our own work.
Pintail Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Cody L.
  • San Diego, Ca
Votes |
  • San Diego, Ca
Replied Aug 9 2022, 22:31

I have a SFR for rent and realized that an applicant's Credit Report was completely fraudulent! The applicant's realtor sent over a TransUnion credit report that looked fine to the eye... but when I hit ctrl+A, I saw there were text rows highlighted but completely blank. I copied and pasted into a fresh .ppt doc and guess what I found? Yep, a different name, addresses, negative accounts, and a different Credit Score!

It looks like the "hidden" text had the font color changed to white (to match the background) and new textboxes were added with the fake info.  

My realtor has flagged this to HAR and I'm writing this to hopefully help other landlords.  I'm obviously not goin to entertain the application but what do I do?  Have others run into this before?  Is this common?

I have people that send me applications all the time.  I ignore them.  I tell them to go to our site and apply so I can process it and run the reports myself. That's the solution. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Wesley W.
  • The Vampire State
Votes |
  • The Vampire State
Replied Aug 10 2022, 05:27
Quote from @Lionel Lin:

100% agree now.  I'll check those out thanks!  Another red flag was their place of work, the generic website had two pictures, no info, and just a "contact for pricing"... 

I always insist on a local landline to a direct supervisor to verify employment.  I also call the main phone number listed online (not the number provided by tenant) to see if I can get to the supervisor listed.  Often, I get transferred to their VM, and from their greeting I can tell the person is legit.  THEN I call the local landline to reach them directly.